Friday, January 15, 2010

Living 60 Seconds at a Time

I had a strict curfew when I was growing up. I had dates that could stay out later than me. It was a bone of contention, but I have to admit it did keep me from trouble. I grew up in a small town and there was often not much going on late (that was worth being involved in). But, I was always afraid that I would miss something. No matter how dull the evening, I just knew something might happen when I went home and I was afraid I would miss it. That passion to get the most out of life drives me today. I don’t want to miss anything. I guess I got some of that from my father. We believed in making the most of each moment, not lingering on problems to let them hinder progress and getting over anger to find joy as soon as possible. He had a plaque on his desk that read, “For every moment you are angry you lose 60 seconds of happiness.”

The first message I preached was about living a full life (John 10:10; Jesus said, “The thief comes to rob, kill, steal and destroy. I have come that you may have life and have it more abundantly). I am amazed at the way so many toss away the ticks of life’s clock as if we will get them back. It is mind-boggling to me to spend one’s time on something that is not an investment that will outlast your life here. Life is a sacred fragile gift. It zooms by at an alarming rate, even a long live of 80+ years seems like a blink. Now I have not lived that long, at my pace I may not make 60, but I have met and talked at length about the subject with many who have, including my grandmother who missed 100 by two years.

God has given us life and riches beyond what we deserve. Romans 3:23 & 6:23 teach that in spite of being created in God’s image we have fallen short of the mark and death is what we earn. However, the gift of eternal life is available and we have received his grace in ways we take for granted each day. You may think you struggle with your check book but simply by being born in the USA you are well ahead in the game. You have a better home than 80% of the rest of the world. Many (24%) have no electricity. Think about that when you flip on the heat or A/C. If you are reading this you are better off than 67% of the rest of the world who can’t read. Many of you graduated from college. That places you ahead of the class from 99% of the rest of the world with no college education.

Many are working on New Year’s diets because 66% in the USA are overweight while half of the rest of the world are malnourished. You are reading this on the Internet. Even in today’s advanced society some 90% of the rest of the world do not have easy access to the internet as do you. So if you have a meal in fridge, dressed with shoes, bed & roof you are better off than 75% of the rest of the world. Those with a bank account and money in pocket have it better than 92% of the rest of the world. When you go church and give thanks for your blessings remember also as you enter the church without fear of arrest, harassment or death you are taking for granted a privilege 3 billion around the world do not have.

All of this is not to lay a guilt trip, but to encourage one another to make the most of each moment. The blessing of the moment is what we have. We can not help what we are born with whether they be problems or privileges in our sight. The question is; “What are you doing with your day & time on earth?” Do you realize you have as many seconds in your hour as Oprah, Bill Gates and the President of the USA or anyone else for that matter. No one has more time in their account than anyone else. Since we all have the same amount of time in each hour or day the question remains; "What will you do with your time this day, hour or moment?"

Jesus tells us, to whom much is given much shall be required in Luke 12:48. Make the most of each moment to have joy, share love and help others to find the riches to make the most of their day. This is the only chance you get for this day! Eternity waits.