Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My Father Used To Say...

One cannot help nor do anything about the family one is born into.  I was fortunate.  I began life in a home where I was blessed with a loving mother and father who nurtured me and gave me the example of what a healthy, loving and mature life should be.  This time of year always serves as a reminder for my great appreciation to Jack and Dot Drees.  Father’s day is just a few days away.  On June 14, 1997 my mother, after spending Saturday with Dad and his family, decided to end the day by giving her husband of nearly fifty years his Father’s day card.  She handed him the card telling him she wanted to give it to him early.  As he read the card she said, “I have a sharp pain in my head!”  Those were her last words as she collapsed and died from a massive cerebral hemorrhage.  Two years ago on May 18 Daddy joined her in Heaven.  I will always be indebted to them as they gave me a loving home that served as a foundation teaching me to live a life of responsibility, maturity, faith, love and laughter.  I remain grateful and seek to continue following, learning, and sharing from their example until we are together again in Heaven.

Years ago I ran across three sentences describing the growing understanding and perspective of a child and father.  They are; “My Dad can whip your Dad!”, followed by, “My ‘old man’ don’t know nothing!” then, “My father used to say!” I love this concise description of the way a child sees his dad (or parent) initially as that most powerful force capable of ‘whipping’ or handling any situation.  Then there are often the years when one goes through a time when immaturity produces an over-inflated ego leading one to the mistaken opinion that one knows more than anyone else about life (those with teenagers, who have raised teenagers or were teenagers should understand).  Finally, if/when one moves past that disillusion of their ego they realize the wisdom of those who sought to lay a helpful foundation for their life.  Real wisdom is not created as much as it is learned and passed on. 
My Dad had a unique way of making points that still guide me in life.  Some of those points were made by example.  I always knew my mother, my sister and I were more important to him than any job, amount of money or social standing.  When I first read I Thessalonians 4:11-12 I thought my father could have written this as he lived and taught me to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.”  I grew up in a home where we loved, laughed and lived a life of responsibility and quiet dignity. 
There were other points made by things "my father used to say" that will remain in my life and heart for the rest of my days.  I still remember him teaching me the importance of providing for my family (a teaching I also found in I Timothy 5:8) as Dad said, “Never be ashamed to do any job that will allow you to take care of your family.”  Not only is it important to work and provide but it is important to hang in there and never quit until/unless you have something better waiting.  "It is always easier to get a job when you have a job."  He taught me the importance of living within your means and avoiding unmanageable debt with the simple guides such as “Never have a monthly payment larger than a week’s pay.” Dad was not what one would describe as a profound theologian but I saw him live until his 84th year with an unwavering faith.  When things seemed overwhelming and became difficult he would say, “Always trust God and things will work out in the end!”
Perhaps your memories are just as blessed, maybe more so.  Maybe there are not many pleasant memories as some have the misfortune of growing up in difficult situations.  As I stated just a few minutes ago, “one cannot help nor do anything about the family one is born into.  I was fortunate.”  While one cannot help the family one is born into, any life can be changed and transformed by being born into the family of God (Read John 1:12).  I have briefly shared a few things my earthly "father used to say” that helped shape me but when we place our faith in Jesus and follow him we will be eternally blessed as we follow the things our Heavenly Father “used to say”…and still says!