Thursday, October 20, 2016

Pastor, how should I vote?

Recently a member of my former church called and asked, “Pastor, I am troubled with this presidential election.  Both candidates have major moral flaws.  You taught us to always look to scripture for guidance.  Could you direct me to a scripture to help me decide how to vote?”  First, I was delighted that I was remembered as one who taught people to look to scripture for guidance.  Second, I think this was the first time in 36 years as a pastor I had been asked about political advice.  As a minister of the Gospel I always made it a strong point to publicly stay out of politics, for several reasons.  First and foremost, my call was to proclaim and share the truth of the message of Jesus.  That often meant speaking frankly on moral issues but I wanted to make every effort that my message and life pointed people to the unifying love of Christ.  Especially from the pulpit I steered clear of discussions on sports and politics as they can be and often are divisive.  I wanted people to know I was for Jesus.  I carefully stayed away from political arguments whether secular or religious (oh yes, Virginia, politics exists in the church).  People knew I my religious loyalty and preferences were more Biblical than denominational. They were also left to wonder about my sports and political preferences. But, keen eyed visitors to my office could notice a well-worn customized cowbell with a motorcycle jelly grip handle from my college days.      

However, nearly a year after my retirement as their pastor, I had a former member who still respected my guidance as their pastor as they were truly troubled and seeking help.  I told him while there is no specific scriptural ‘voter guide’ the Apostle Paul writes in 1 Timothy 2:1-3; I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior,

Jesus was born into a world of evil, corrupt and immoral leaders that would make our current political climate seem G Rated.  He was (and still is) more interested in changing individual hearts than political leaders.  The Gospel message of love, grace and forgiveness has thrived no matter the political climate.  History has shown God often used corrupt leaders to accomplish His purpose from the time of Moses until today.  I think that tactic really infuriates the Evil One.  While many have tried, no political leader in history has been able to snuff out the movement of the Gospel.  They have persecuted and martyred faithful followers of Christ throughout the years but the movement of God has never been stopped.  His will is always accomplished.  In fact, the Gospel has often thrived best in times of political persecution. 

So while each election can be an important one, pleasing God is still the priority.  Each person has to vote according to their conscience.  My advice was (and is) this; vote in a manner that will allow you to have a clear conscience before God.  If there is no candidate on the ballot who allows you to make that choice write in one that does, whether the write in is ‘Jesus’ or ‘None of the Above’.  That will allow you to exercise your civic duty as a voter, then follow 1 Timothy 2:1-3 as you continually pray for all those in authority that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. Voting is important.  It is not only a civic duty but a right and responsibility that has been provided to us by the blood and sacrifice of lives many who have gone before us.  It is a privilege that many around the world do not have.   So pray and vote.  Then pray for all who are in authority. 

However, never forget that our real hope is not in a political leader, party or philosophy.  Our hope is in the unifying love, forgiveness and grace of Christ.  In all things let that love, forgiveness and grace bring you together with your fellowman.  This is good, and pleases God our Savior (who, I think, approves this message).