Wednesday, November 22, 2017

It's Not Good To Be Alone

My next door neighbor is moving.  We have enjoyed being neighbors for 18 years.  I am sorry to see her move but I understand.  She is a widow and has no children.  She is at the time and age in life when she can no longer take care of herself and her home alone.  She has fallen a few times and is moving to a senior adult retirement community.  She is sad about moving from her home.  We hate to lose her as our next door neighbor but this is part of life.  We have tried to help her and take care of things for her as neighbors and since I have retired I am more available to help but she is lonely and will benefit from being in a community with people who are at the same stage in life and will be her new friends.  As we talked I was reminded of how we moved my father into our home and took care of him in his last days and are now taking care of my wife’s parents in their final years.  I am sorry to lose my good neighbor but since she has no family and not many in our neighborhood are in her age bracket she is lonely.  She will benefit from being in a community where she can make new friends who will be in her age group and will help one another as needed. 

I am reminded of Genesis 2:18 where God told Adam, “It is not good for the man to be alone.”  We are created to have relationships.  We are made in God’s image.  This is a triune God; Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  While we may have difficulty wrapping our finite minds around how God can be three distinctive persons in one, there is something we can understand.  God, being three persons in one, can have and enjoy relationships with Himself.  Wow, if we understand nothing else about the Trinity we need to understand the importance of relationships.  We are created and thrive on relationships with one another.  There is everything godly about building, growing and a positive network of relationships in this life.   Ecclesiastes 4:12 tells us the importance of a growing network of companions, “Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves.  A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.” 

As we journey through life we discover that one of the most valuable assets we can obtain is that of positive relationships with family and friends.  It is vital, for many reasons, to develop and maintain a positive and growing network of relationships.  They may be family or friends that are as close if not closer than family.  I know of people who seem to have a talent for driving away family and friends.  They wind up sad and lonely.  As I referred to Genesis earlier, God tells us that it is not good for us to be alone.  Therefore it is wise and profitable to make every opportunity to make and maintain as many positive relationships as possible.  As I am writing this I received a phone call from someone seeking help for a church.  I know I am not the solution to their situation but because I have a friendship with another retired pastor I can easily recommend him for that situation. 

Just yesterday, I tried to contact a pastor with whom I recently served in a connected community to offer something that may be helpful in his ministry.  In my opinion he was one of those EGR folks (Extra Grace Required).  We have all met folks that seem to be intent on draining all the grace you may have in just being in the same room with them without strangling them.  Anyway, before I get too distracted, he never returned my phone call so he will never know if the information I wanted to share may help his life or ministry.  Hopefully as he gets older, like me, he will realize that keeping positive relationships, even with doofus guys like me, are helpful in many ways.  

God uses our relationships with others for His work and also to enhance our life.  One never knows when a connection with another human may become the link that God chooses to use for our mutual benefit and His glory.  Therefore as you go through life never take for granted the value of relationships with others.   Do all you can to grow, develop and maintain as many positive relationships as you go through your life.

One of the great advantages of being active in a church family is the power of relationships.   Counselors and medical professionals often speak of the importance of support groups for those encountering grief or difficult medical situations.  People who are active in a church already have a support group of their church family members who will walk with them in their difficult days.   
Hey, I realize that all of us may have family, neighbors or co-workers who are hard to get along with but we all benefit from forgiving one another’s shortcomings and trying to keep relationships positive.  You never know when we may need one another.  That is why it is vital to keep, maintain and grow as many positive relationships as you can in this life.  As I have shared previously, relationships are the only thing one takes from this life into eternity.  Your relationship with Jesus determines your eternal destiny and the relationships you form in this life with those who have trusted Jesus will continue through eternity.

As I was completing this writing this I received a call from a friend I have known since elementary school telling me of the death of two of my old friends from high school and college.  In my last blog I shared of making a sentimental journey back to my home town to reconnect with old friends.  I am especially glad now that I got to make these visits.  Don't delay visiting friends and family.  One never knows what tomorrow may bring.  Life is precious, fragile and fleeting.  

So as you go through your daily life seek to make, maintain and keep as many positive relationships as possible with family, friends and strangers as possible.  You never know when God may use those relationships to bless others or even you.