Wednesday, December 2, 2020

He be awright. He don’t own this!

It was one of those recent beautiful autumn days when you enjoyed having the car window down.  We were sitting at a traffic light in the lane designated to go straight or turn left.  There was a car next to us in the lane designated to turn right with two young ladies who also were enjoying the weather with their car windows down.  We smiled at one another as we waited for the light to turn green.  At once one of those oversized pickup trucks pulled up behind her car.  You know the type; they drive right up to your rear bumper and look down at your car letting you know they could devour you for a light snack.  He immediately began honking the horn.  He obviously wanted her to turn right on the red light so he could move on and intimidate other drivers.  She was not comfortable with doing as he wished.  She looked at us, raised her eyebrows and cocked her head backwards toward the bully with the loud horn and big truck, saying; “He be awright.  He don’t own this!” as she nodded her head and pointed to herself.   I loved it and gave her a thumb’s up with a big smile. When the light changed and she felt comfortable and safe she made her right-hand turn and we all moved on.  However, that moment stayed with me.

I have often pondered on how much we allow our lives to be affected and intimidated by the expectations of others.  This young lady eloquently stated she was not concerned about being bullied into doing something uncomfortable.  She was comfortable owning and living up to her expectations rather than those of the stranger behind her seeking to force her to do something she was clearly not at ease doing.   The driver of the truck would indeed be alright waiting his turn for the light to change. 

Our life is too precious and brief to be spent seeking to please or live up to the expectations of others.  We are each unique individuals.  The Psalmist tells us that we are ‘fearfully and wonderfully made’ (Psalm 139:14.)  We each have our unique and individual personality, set of gifts, thoughts and pathway to life a fulfilling life.   There is no one quite like you.  There has never been anyone quite like you.  You have your own pathway to pursue and offer this world.  Our life is best lived following the direction and leadership of our creator rather than the well-intentioned or bullying expectations of others whether they are family, friends or strangers.  As we live following the direction and leadership of our creator we will also make the best contribution to the world and those around us. 

A little over forty years ago I received wonderful advice from a spiritual mentor during my public ordination service to the ministry.  I sat on the front row of the church as Rev. Harry Morotto preached a ‘charge to the church’ that was ordaining me into the ministry.  His message explained the seriousness and responsibilities of publicly setting aside a young man to be recognized as a minister.  That message was followed by ‘charge to the candidate’.  This was a sermon directed exclusively to me.  I sat on the front row while the congregation watched and listened to Rev. Paul Davis, the Director of Missions for the Sedgwick County Baptist Association; as he delivered a strong message directed to me.  I still remember the moment and the symbolism. 

Rev. Davis was a tall distinguished man well known and respected for his lengthy career in ministry.  He looked down on me as he spoke from the platform and pulpit that was already several feet above the floor.  I sat on the front pew looking up at him, which I would have done even if we stood at the same level.  He was 6’3” and I am 5’7” on my best day.  He had a thick headful of gray hair and was well seasoned in life and ministry.  I had a thick headful of blonde hair and was still green and inexperienced in ministry and much of life.  So in that setting, as I was beginning my career in ministry, he gave me wise counsel on the responsibilities of life as a public minister.  There was one moment that is burned in my memory.  He uttered the following sentence; “Please God first and yourself second.”  He then paused to let those words sink in.  That is some of the best advice one could receive no matter what career or pathway in life is pursued. 

If God is pleased with me then I should be pleased with myself as well.  If God is pleased with me it means that I am acting in a way of kindness and compassion as I ‘love God with all my heart and love my neighbor as I love myself’ (Matthew 22:36-40).  If I am living my life pleasing God and I am also pleased with such a pathway, it really should not matter what others think or expect of me.  People have many different expectations for their pastor, child, sibling, friend, boss, employee, co-worker, etc.  One can drive themselves crazy trying to please and meet the various expectations of others.  We are best served, and serve others best by following God’s expectations.  After all He is the only one to whom we will be finally and eternally accountable. 

King Solomon, who was known for his gift of wisdom, searched all the ways one could experience life and concluded Ecclesiastes 12:13-14  with this: “Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind.  For God will bring every deed into judgment including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.”   In other words it doesn’t matter what you do or think the only thing that matters in the end is God’s judgement on the way you lived. 

So never worry about the expectations or opinions of others.  In the words of another wise man, Theodor Seuss "Ted" Geisel better known by most as Dr. Seuss: “Be who you are and say how you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”