Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Is There Any Hope?

Several years ago I was having a conversation with a friend who was the director of one of the major counseling centers in our state.  We were having a wide-ranging discussion of things going on in the world and coping with daily issues in life when he paused, sighed and said; “You know, I always thought things would get better but in reality they seem to be getting worse.”  This perspective by someone who studies the human psyche and spends his life seeking to help people overcome problems with their emotions, mind and spirit stayed with me.  I came away from our conversation thinking; “Wow; if he, who’s calling and training in life is to guide people from despair into hope, doesn’t see hope that things are improving that is really discouraging.  And this was years before all the effects of the COVID pandemic and the political turmoil that has a growing negative impact on our lives today. 

I spent most of my life teaching, preaching and leading people to find hope.  Now I find myself often needing a ‘booster shot’ of hope.  These days of global pandemic, severe political turmoil, growing racial unrest and various other unsettling events have rocked the foundation of hope and faith for many.  People who once were very active in practicing their faith, sharing and leading others to hope and faith are now questioning their own beliefs.  I called a longtime friend and fellow faithful servant of God as they are dealing with the torture of watching the love of their life waste away in a slow painful decline from an incurable debilitating disease.  They confessed, “Pastor, this has truly shaken my faith!”  I have to admit that; although we had a long deep friendship where they often had come to me, as pastor and friend, for encouragement and spiritual counsel that I now was at a loss for words.  I simply had to confess that I also have been having my own struggle with faith.

We both were very familiar with Henry Blackaby’s famous “Experiencing God” Bible study books and materials.  Blackaby speaks of believers coming to a ‘crisis of belief’.  God’s invitation for you to work with Him always leads you to a crisis of belief that requires faith and action.  Most believers come to this crossroads and find faith to press on. 

Believers can always find hope in Christ no matter how difficult the situation may be.  He gave us many promises that restore hope.  He said, “I will never leave you or forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5)  He told us that He came that we could live abundantly and no one could take us from his hand. (John10)  Scripture is filled with promises to restore faith and encourage us no matter how things may look or be in the world.  Romans 8 tells us that “All things work together for good to those who love the Lord.” .  So those who follow Christ may get knocked down and their faith may waiver but for most there are always answers to renew faith and move forward in hope even when the future is uncertain or frightening. 

 However, there are those who find they are at the end of their rope of faith and the knot has slipped loose.  There is simply nothing else on which to lean stand or hold that gives hope or encouragement.  They have run out of people to ask or places to go to find answers.  Some of these people are believers, former believers or people who still want to believe but life has tumbled inward in such a deep and difficult manner that the words and methods of the past no longer sooth or give hope.  Some are embarrassed or ashamed of their struggles because they have been looked at as religious leaders or examples of faith in the past.  If they admit their true struggles and doubts they fear that they will be ostracized or ridiculed.  So they struggle in lonely silence. 

So where do we go when nothing seems to help?  When no one seems to have an answer that really gives us the help and hope we seek?  How do we keep from giving up?  How do we find the strength to go on when there seems to be no hope? 

Recently I ran across a conversation with a husband and wife that gave me a few handles to grasp that I hope will be helpful.  Dr. Brené Brown: professor, lecturer, author, and podcast host asked her husband, Steve Alley the following research question; “Do you think that, in general, people are doing the best they can?” (Rising Strong, 2015, pg. 113) He responded, “I don’t know. I really don’t. All I know is that my life is better when I assume that people are doing their best. It keeps me out of judgment and lets me focus on what is, and not what should or could be.”

So with apologies to Steve Alley, sometimes when there seems to be no real answer to the question of hope, the best way to move forward may be to assume that there is an answer.  Is there any hope? “I don’t know. I really don’t. All I know is that my life is better when I assume that there is hope. It keeps me out of despair and lets me focus on making the most of what is, and not what should or could be.”