Wednesday, July 8, 2009

“It’s About Livin’”

Last night I watched one of my favorite movie mini-series, Lonesome Dove again. It is the saga of two old Texas Rangers who go on one last adventure. Woodrow Call is a stubborn workaholic. Gus McRae is a fun loving character who loves to “talk philosophy” and share his pearls of wit and wisdom as he aggravates his lifelong companion Woodrow. There are several scenes where Gus shares wisdom that is worthy of remembering. One especially reminded me of a philosophy of life and an old article I had written about this time a year ago about a couple of lives and a week that caused me to reflect on that philosophy. Although the article is a year old, it is still current in meaning. Here is that article:

A few weeks ago I addressed a crowd of nearly 500 people who had gathered because a young mother, age 45, had died suddenly in a tragic automobile accident. Although the memorial was called because Debbie Boughman died we were there to celebrate the way she lived. There were tears indeed but the focus was on a lasting smile and the eternal reflection of Christ. That should be the testimony of each believer. That week-end was filled with such an emphasis for me.

The day before I preached the memorial service Randy Pausch died. He was a little known young (age 47) college professor who came to fame as pancreatic cancer was not as much a death sentence but a launching pad for his now world famous, ‘Last Lecture’. Randy said, “We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully.” I liked that but I loved the way Jesus said it better; “The thief comes to rob, steal, kill and destroy. I come that you may have life and have it more abundantly.” I guess it is no coincidence that John 10:10 was the text of my first sermon over 30 years ago.

I preached that memorial service on Saturday. The next day I preached a sermon in church that I had previously prepared long before I knew of the coming memorial, such is the way of God leading pastors with their messages. The title of the message was ‘Enjoy the Ride’. It focused on trusting God with life and enjoying the ride through all the up’s and downs of this sin-scarred world. As an illustration I shared that the vessel for life is more like a sail boat or even a kayak following the flow of the “wind of the Spirit” from John 3:8 rather than the institutional bulk of an aircraft carrier that has the of stuff to meet all needs but can’t turn and flow. I illustrated the ‘theology’ of the Snake River Kayak Rules as a guide for life:

1. Go with the flow & don’t get addled-lean back
2. If the worse comes, let go of everything you’ll come up
3. Danger is part of the trip. Enjoy the ride.

If we have trusted our lives to Christ we can and should go with the flow (Holy Spirit). Follow and trust the leadership of the Holy Spirit in life. Read Galatians 5 and memorize verses 22 & 23 as your behavior pattern for a great reaction to all that happens in life. If and when the worst comes, as it will, we can let go and trust Jesus as our life preserver. I love telling congregations that the worst thing that can happen to a believer is that we die and go to Heaven forever! How bad is that? I realize bad things happen to good people. I make hospital, nursing home visits and preach funerals and do crisis counseling on a regular basis however, I also realize that when the worst comes resurrection follows for believers. It is all good! And finally we must always remember that this is a sin-scared world. Danger does exist. There is no safe place in this world or live except in the center of the will of God. The best thing one can do is follow God's plan daily. Enjoy the ride!

As Gus McRae, the fun loving cowboy everyone enjoyed being around in my favorite movie ‘Lonesome Dove’, told Woodrow Call, the hardworking boss who made everyone uncomfortable, when they were once talking about the death of a woman they both knew; “You still don’t get the point, it ain’t dying I’m talking about, I’m talkin’ about livin!”


There are those who are marking time until they die not getting the the most of each day or life. Each day or moment is precious. We are here to live. Jesus came that we may live abundantly. Make the most of each day. Enjoy the ride in Christ!