Thursday, May 27, 2010

60 Seconds

My father had a plaque on his desk that I will always remember. It read, “For every minute you are angry you lose 60 seconds of happiness.” It described a philosophy by which he lived, as I shared recently at his funeral, as well as a philosophy he passed on to me. Not only is it a good philosophy but it is theologically sound. Philippians 3: 13-14 says, Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” Now, the Bill Drees translation is this, “Guys, I may not have everything figured out yet, but here is what I am doing; forgetting the past, by making things right with all I can and living as hard as I can to be what God has called to do and created me to be until I am in Heaven.”

Too many lives and too many moments that can never be redeemed are lost by living and focusing on the past. All we have is this moment and it is a fragile vapor. James 4:14 gives the sobering reminder that we are not promised another moment other than this one we currently have. “Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.” I am constantly amazed at the way people choose to spend the vapor of the moment, which is all the life we know we will have, being angry, foolish, holding a grudge, fearful, worrying, having hurt feelings or being self-centered. It is much easier to get over things quickly and enjoy the moment. That is why most people see me with a quick smile, even in the midst of life’s storms. It helps the storm to pass quickly. Jesus woke from a storm, brought immediate peace then questioned the faith of those followers who were afraid during the storm. You see He was so restful and at peace with the Father that he could sleep when others were erroneously worried for their lives.

Worries, anxiety, anger, fear, failure to quickly forgive are all emotions that one never sees in the face of Jesus. As a professing follower of Jesus far too many actually live as Atheists when it comes time to practice this faith in life’s storms. Church people can be some of the worst at failing to put faith into practice. I know some former church members who are still holding a grudge against me three churches ago. Bless their hearts (those of you who know true Southern know the real translation of that phrase.) I once had a group of youth who became angry at the pastor because I expected them to be somewhat quiet and not disrupt the worship service so they vandalized my home. I guess they needed to advance a little in school and church knowledge because they didn’t realize that my home was the church parsonage and they simply damaged church property angering their parents who were church members. Anger and vengeance rarely works as we plan. It is best to forgive as quickly as possible so we can move to happiness and joy. One never knows when the vapor of live will flicker out. I have officiated at funerals for people in their 90’s and less than 9 months.

My first sermon was from John 10:10, “The thief comes to rob steal, kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.” It has been nearly thirty five years since I first preached this message and I still want to get the most out of each day. The best way is to live each moment loving God with all your heart and loving your neighbor as your self. Life is too short to hold a grudge, be anxious, worry or be afraid. I don’t know when my vapor will flicker out but until it does I will try to make the most of each moment by getting my 60 seconds of happiness. I hope you will do the same. The best time to start is now. GO!