Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Get Real

For nearly 40 years as a pastor I spent hours each day reading, doing research and studying to prepare sermons and Bible studies.  That was my primary work.  And for me, it was work.  Study never came easy for me.  Although, I have earned 4 diplomas and completed some 23 years of formal accredited education I never was never a good student.  I would rather play and have fun than study.  I still confess to that shortcoming (if having fun is a shortcoming). 

I graduated in the bottom third of my class in high school.  I was dead last in my college graduating class.  There is a great story that goes along with that unique accomplishment but that’s for another time.  Maybe we can get together sometime for coffee and I will disclose how that ‘distinction’ came about but for now let me get back on topic (see how easily I could get distracted in school).  I applied myself as a more serious student in seminary working toward my Master’s degree but I still graduated somewhere in the middle of the pack.  As I was nearing the end of my Doctoral work I had a conversation with a fellow student who was consumed with finishing first in the class.  I tried to help him relieve the anxiety and pressure he was placing on himself with this desire to finish first in the class as I told him that I was more interested in learning than my grade point average or being first in the class.  I asked him, “Do you know what they will call me if I graduate last in the class?  They will still refer to me as, Dr. Drees!”   

I share all that to say this; reading was never fun for me.  It was work.  It was part of the job.  It was something I had to do.  I never thought of reading for pleasure until now.  Now that I am retired I am enjoying reading fiction.  I am in the midst of a mystery by James Patterson entitled ‘Invisible’.  James Patterson had the largest selection of books in the ‘Large Print’ section of the library…man I hate getting old.  Anyway, it is about a serial killer being pursued by the FBI.  The fictitious killer dictates his activities and motives on tape so there will be a record when/if he is caught and he will be known.  He says, “I’m doing it because you think you know me, but you don’t.  You don’t know anybody really.  And I can prove it to you.  Just use yourself as an example.  You have thoughts that nobody else knows about, don’t you?  Thoughts that you haven’t shared with a single human being, not your best friend or sibling – nobody.  And sometimes it’s more than your thoughts.  It’s actions, things you do….you don’t share those thoughts because you’re afraid that your extremes will define you,...So you hide, you put on a mask.”

As I read that soliloquy from a fictional character I thought about the truth the author was conveying about all of us.  I thought about the times when a person that was assumed to be quiet and reserved went berserk and went on a killing spree.  The media seems to have no trouble finding neighbors, friends or family who say, “We are shocked.  We never knew this side of him.”  I thought about the times a faithful church member, or pastor, confessed or got caught in adultery, theft or some other shocking behavior that took everyone by surprise  It seems that all of us put on masks from time to time to hide things we don’t want others to know.  See you never knew how ‘dumb’ I was in school until today.    

We need to be reminded that God knows who we are behind the mask.  He knows the thoughts that we keep secret from the world.  Psalm 139 shows us just how much God knows about us.  Matthew 10:30 & Luke 12:7 remind us that he knows the number of hairs on our head.  As I get older and balder that is not as difficult but the point is that God knows who we really are down to our core…and He loves us anyway.  As you know from the first memory verse most of us learned, John 3:16, He loved us so much that He send and sacrificed His son, Jesus, for our salvation. 

You have probably heard many sermons from guys like me describing the different types of love in the Greek language.  Preachers who had to struggle through Greek classes, like me, try to show off our ‘knowledge’ whenever we can.  When possible we try to work in explanations of Greek words like Storge or familial love which refers to natural or instinctual affection, such as the love of a parent towards offspring and vice versa.  Another Greek term for love is Philia; from where we get Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love.  It is love between good friends.  Then there is Eros (from where get erotic) that describes physical attraction or desire.  Finally there is Agape, which is the type of love God has for us as it involves faithfulness, commitment, and an eternal act of the will not an emotion that comes and goes. 

For those, again like me, who struggled with Greek there is a simpler breakdown.  First there is ‘love if’I love you if… One can complete the sentence with any of the many requirements to earn this conditional love.  I love you if you will do this certain thing, look or act a certain way…etc.  Then there is ‘love because’.  I love you because you of the way you look or act, make me feel…etc.  Again, this love is conditional because it depends on the person.  The third type of love in this shorter analogy is ‘love in spite of’.  I know who you are, warts and all, and I love you in spite of your imperfections! As opposed to the first two which are conditional, this is unconditional love.  This is true love.  This is the way God loves us.  This is the way we should love one another. 

Unconditional love does not excuse or justify wrong thoughts or actions.  It overlooks them and loves anyway while cheering for us and helping us become better.  We can only open ourselves to unconditional love when we become totally honest with ourselves and others.  Honesty with ourselves means asking God to completely reveal any wrong or imperfection we are covering up as we pray the prayer from Psalm 139:23, “Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.”  When God reveals thoughts or actions that are wrong or offensive we then need to acknowledge them to ourselves and Him.  He will then forgive according to 1 John 1:9.  Then we need to repent as we change direction.  Repent in Hebrew is SHUB (yes, I had to study Hebrew as well so bear with me) which expresses a radical change of mind toward sin and implies a conscious separation from sin and decision to forsake it and agree with God.  In other words it means being honest with God, admitting our failings and agreeing with the way God sees us as we move from actions and thoughts we hide, cover up as we become spiritually mature, real and honest with God, others and ourselves.   


So today, I encourage you to begin removing the mask.  Become who God created you to be, not who you think will be accepted by others.  Any action or thought you want to keep hidden or would be ashamed of if discovered no longer needs to be in your life.  Acknowledge shortcomings to self and God.  Receive His forgiveness, grace and power to move in a different and more honest direction in your life.  You will find that the relationships you lose are those who had conditional ‘love’ for you and they are no great loss in your life.  On the contrary, you will learn that those who love you for ‘who you really are’ are trusted friends on whom you can depend and rejoice for the rest of your days.  So, be honest with yourself, with others and most of all with God.  It is truly the best way to live.  I leave you with this jewel of a thought from Theodor Seuss Geisel (most of you will better know him as Dr. Seuss) “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”