Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Don't Panic


I was ready to panic.  I don’t get that way very often.  Quite often, as a minister, I had to keep my cool as many looked to me to provide calm in the midst of life’s storms.  I am discovering that the older I get the more my emotions are on edge.  Perhaps I am feeling more like a man living in the wrong century as technology is replacing all the things that were once foundational in my life.  Nothing lasts forever…but this was my cell phone…and it was not taking a charge!  What’s more important in our lives today?  I have over 300 contacts; that means phone numbers, addresses, directions and important information on friends as well as important emergency medical information and contacts with doctors and hospitals.  I also have hours of music and pictures.  Why can’t I get it to charge?  I’ve had problems with the charger port previously and I cleaned it gently with an old toothbrush.  I never throw them away.  They are always handy.  I have a whole drawer full in the garage. Anyway, this cleaning didn’t work.   It still would not charge.  Oh, gosh!  If I can’t charge it I will lose all the previously mentioned valuable information and will be out of touch with everyone.  I will be the owner of a very expensive paperweight. 

I Googled “Can’t charge my IPhone”.  Man if Google ever crashed I really would panic!  I followed the instructions and still my phone would not charge.  The last resort, if it had become damaged, was to take it to an Apple store.  My mind raced back earlier in the day when I dropped it.  I didn’t think I did any damage but it is difficult to think straight when you are beginning to panic.  The nearest Apple store is in Charlotte and it is 7:12 pm.  The AT&T store where I purchased the phone was open until 9pm.  Thanks again to another Google search.  So off I went.  I had to get there ASAP!

I have a business degree and worked retail before going into the ministry.  I grew up with the idea that customer service means a person (qualified to help) would meet you at the door with a cheerful greeting and an anxious desire to serve you; the customer.  The world has changed.  Often when I go to a store I get the feeling that I have interrupted their day.  I may have to wait for them to finish their conversation/text before they look at me and wait for me to be the first to speak asking for help.  After spending several minutes seeking a person with the store nametag that identified them as an employee, I found a young man standing alone, except for whoever was on the other end of his phone.  I asked if he worked there and could help me.  He instructed me of the protocol of giving my name to the person with the tablet at the door and my name would appear on the screen when ‘it was my turn to be helped’.  I told him I was aware of the procedure but there was no one at the door.  He told me they were all busy and eventually someone would come to me.  I wanted to leave but I had an emergency.  My phone was dying in my hands and I would soon be cut off from the civilized world!

I stood at the front of the store and waited while thanking God for another opportunity to learn patience.  Yeah, right! He keeps sending me occasions to learn patience although I don’t think I will ever learn.  Finally, a young man came out from the back and asked if I was being helped.  I ‘patiently’ smiled (see God I’m trying) and said “No” and explained my problem.  He took my phone and tried to plug in the charger.  He told me it seemed that the charger port was not making a good connection.  Duhh!  I patiently smiled again (See God, I’m still trying).  He told me that often pocket lint can build up and block the port.  I explained that I was aware and tried to clean it with an old toothbrush.  He didn’t respond and took a small specialized tool, the end of a paper clip, and used his professional training to flip a ball of pocket lint from my phone’s charger port.  He plugged the phone into the charger and it immediately began charging.  The future was bright again!  I could charge my phone!  It would live on restoring my valuable information and keep me connected with the universe!  Life is good!

As I got to my car my mind returned to my old habit as a preacher.  Although I am 2 ½ years into retirement I still think, ‘What is God teaching or saying to me in this situation and how does He want me to convey this to His children?  So, class what did we learn?

First, when your mind begins to panic tell it to STOP!  Don’t let fearful thoughts run away with your mind.  Rarely are those panicked thoughts going to come to fruition.  Most of the things we worry about never happen.  And on the rare occasion that they do we usually discover that it wasn’t as bad as we thought it would be.  There is a reason that the first words of an angel from God are always, “Fear Not!”

Second, as a child of God never forget that all the trouble in the world is not beyond His love and grace.  He will ALWAYS be there with and for you.  He told us, “I will never leave or forsake you.” (Hebrews13:5).  “What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?” (Romans: 8:31)

Third, there is often a simple solution for seemingly complex problems.  A simple paperclip was all that was needed to remedy the problem for one of the most advanced devices that has transformed our world, the smart phone.  Again; don’t fret, panic or be anxious.  “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  (Philippians 4:6-7)

So, get up each morning and trust your day (and life) to God realizing that nothing in this crazy, sin-scarred world is going to happen that will destroy your fellowship, your relationship, your standing with God or remove you from His grace and care!  By the way, my phone is charged so feel free to call or text. 😄