Sunday, June 24, 2018

Man Plans, and God Laughs


Today is June 24.  Sixty six years ago at a small hospital in West Point, Mississippi Jack and Dot Drees welcomed their first child into the world.  They named him William Harold.  Most folks knew him as Billy when he was younger.  Mother started calling me Bill when I went to college.  She thought I looked younger than the other college kids and dropping the y made me seem less like a kid.  I grew up in Columbus, MS but the year I was born we lived in West Point because dad was the assistant manager of the Piggly Wiggly and I tell people I was born in West Point because I wanted to be near my mother at that time.  I know it’s a tired old joke but I like it and I don’t get many opportunities to use it.  Sorry!

As I reflect on the significance of this date I realize that 66 is not much of a milestone.  We often seem to think of the birthdays that have some significance, like 15 (I got my driver’s license) or 18 (I was eligible to be drafted into the military…not a great day in the late 60’s.  I also could vote.  By the way my first presidential vote was for Nixon.  Ending the draft was probably a big factor.  Then he quit…so much for my first presidential vote). At 65 I qualified for Medicare and at 66 I qualify for my full Social Security benefit.  Also birthdays ending in a zero are often distinct because we are entering into a new decade.  With that in mind entering the last half of my 70th decade is not that thrilling.  Psalm 90:10 reminds me of the brevity of 70 years as “The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.”  After this there is no great consequence for another birthday number except marking the day one dies when people will say, “Wow, I didn’t realize he was that old” or “Man, I thought he was older than that.”  Seriously, I have learned to appreciate every day of life, especially since I should have died in 2001.  If interested, you can go back to the blog archive for February 2010 and read ‘Life is Good’…or you could take me to lunch and I will share more info.  After all, it is my birthday, and a late birthday lunch…with cake for dessert would be OK.

As I grow older I seem to lean to nostalgia more often than when I was younger and busier with ‘important things’ that seemed to matter.  Some of those things did matter quite a bit but it is interesting how ‘things that matter’ seem to change as life moves along.  We have plans and ambition but life has a way of changing our plans and teaching us how unpredictable the road of life can be.  “Mann Tracht, Un Gott Lacht” is an old Yiddish adage meaning, “Man Plans, and God Laughs.” 
Mother told me when I was too young to remember that people would ask me, “What do you want to be when you grow up?”  I would smile and say, “Nothing!”  That was cute when I was 4 but as I got older I realized I needed to develop something more concrete.  I never remember living a day without an awareness of God in my life.  I also seemed to have always have a sense that God had a plan for me.  However, my theology was not developed well enough to know how to discern His plan so I just enjoyed the ride until I got out of college and mother was probably worried that I was trying to achieve my childhood goal of being ‘nothing’.  My primary ambition was to enjoy life.  I had fun, good clean fun, but there comes a time when one realizes that such a vocation does not usually have great compensation. 

Although I was a believer, as I stated earlier, I was not mature enough in my faith to discern God’s will for my life.  As I look back I realize how strongly His hand was guiding me even when I was unaware, especially when I was unaware.  My home church was without a pastor and I visited another church in town with a couple of friends.  I did not know the pastor but somehow felt a connection that caused me to show up at his office to ask for his guidance as I “felt that God was calling me to preach.”  I was initially disappointed as I expected him to say, “Can you be ready Sunday?”  However, his advice was exactly what I needed.  I was able to reconnect years later, as a fellow pastor, and thank him for his wise words.  I have shared his words to many other young men seeking to follow God’s call over the years.

Among the things he shared was guidance to get more involved in God’s word.  “If God is going to speak to you that is where you will hear his voice most clearly.”  God spoke clearly to me as I read in Proverbs 16:3 for the first time; “Commit your works to the Lord and your plans will be established.”  God seemed to be speaking personally and directly to me telling me that He had an established plan for my life and I needed commit all my actions to Him and he would take care of the rest.  Well it is not quite that simple, I am reminded of the preacher who said, “I asked God to give me a message but I had to study for this one as well.”  We have to do the required work as we follow His lead but if we commit ourselves to Him, no matter what the vocation or direction may be, He will guide us along His plan. 

Most of the folks who knew me as Billy growing up would have never predicted me to be a preacher.  Oh, they knew me to be a good kid but extremely shy.  In fact, when I told mom and dad that I believed God was calling me to be a preacher; I never knew until many years later that when I left the room mom looked at dad and said, “I don’t think the boy will make it.”  She loved me but also knew how timid I was. 

Committing my works to the Lord led me to the wonderful wife God had already established for me and two daughters who have grown to be women whom I am proud of beyond words.  His established plan also allowed the shy timid boy to grow to be a man who has been blessed to preach on five of the seven continents on this planet.  It has been quite a journey, far greater than anything I could have planned.  I have certainly learned over the years that life is fleeting and fragile, so I don’t know how long the journey may last but I live each day confidently that His plan, and my days, are established in His hand. 

Forgive the personal reflection, but I hope the message will come across to you that no matter what age or stage in life you may find yourself, Proverbs 16:3 still works.  It is never too late to give it a try.