Saturday, September 29, 2018

I'm tired of people being ugly to each other.


It seems that the movie ‘The Green Mile’ is on some TV channel every night.  Well, at least once a week. As I flip channels looking for an Andy Griffith rerun I often see ‘The Green Mile’ is playing on some channel.  Don’t you love it?  I grew up with three channels, one was ETV so that didn’t really count, and now we can get 500 channels but there is rarely anything as good to watch as an Andy Griffith rerun that I enjoyed watching when I was Opie’s age. 

Anyway, back to ‘The Green Mile’.  If you are one of the 8 or 9 people in North America who have not seen it yet I will not spoil the movie but I need to give a little background to make my point.  The movie is about Death Row guards at a penitentiary, in the 1930's, who have a moral dilemma with their job when they discover one of their prisoners, a wrongly convicted murderer, appears to have supernatural gifts.  John Coffey seems to have an awareness of the evil in the world and the power to ‘take it back’, his way of describing his ability to reverse the evil and bring supernatural healing in some cases.  The guards begin to see his innocence and experience his special abilities and do not wish to place him in the electric chair.  In one of the most poignant scenes the head warden, Paul Edgecomb (Tom Hanks), who sees the prisoner, John Coffey (Michael Clarke Duncan), as a gift from God discusses his predicament as he will soon have to give the order to execute John Coffey in the electric chair.  He tells John he fears facing God in judgement “after killing one of His true miracles.”  John proceeds to comfort Paul telling him he is ready to leave this world with the following statement; “I'm tired, boss. Tired of being on the road, lonely as a sparrow in the rain. I'm tired of never having a buddy to be with, to tell me where we's going to, coming from or why. Mostly, I'm tired of people being ugly to each other. I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world every day. There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head, all the time. Can you understand?"

While I don’t pretend to have John Coffey’s constant awareness of all the evil in the world, I can identify with being “tired of people being ugly to each other.”  I was taught, at an early age not to act ugly to other people. One did not have to grow up in the South to be taught manners but our culture seems to have forgotten how to be civil with one another.  I remember growing up in a small town where we would eagerly throw up a hand and wave, even if we didn’t know who the other person was.  It was just a way to be nice and friendly to one another.  Now it seems that it is just as easy for some to throw up a hand at someone but the gesture is not a friendly wave…I don’t think I need to say more.  I think you know what I am talking about.  

I used to enjoy watching the news to stay informed on local and national events.  Now it seems that all they want to show is people who are fussing, and arguing to make certain their side wins over the other side forgetting they were elected to come together and do things jointly to help the nation as a whole.

As a pastor and Director of Missions I have had much experience over the years with church conflict  whether trying to bring people into unity in the church I served or as a moderator when churches were so divided they needed outside help.  I am continually amazed how people professing to follow the same Jesus can so quickly become angrily divided.  I had a conversation with a friend in a church that was struggling with such division who expressed “seeing some good points being made by both sides.”  I reminded them that once we develop sides, there are no good points.  God did not intend ANY of us to be divided…especially those who claim to be His children. 

Every human is a unique creation.  Psalm 139 tells us that we are “fearfully and wonderfully made”.  We are meant to bring our uniqueness together to aid one another in a harmonious fashion to make life better for all.  An orchestra has many different instruments.  If each tries to make their own noise independently it becomes an awful racket however, when they come together following the same page of notes beautiful harmonious music is the result.  So it should be with us.  Each of our differences can help someone else if we will see one another as part of the same family working together in harmony. 

The longest recorded prayer of Jesus is found in John 17.  Jesus prayed this prayer just a few hours before he willingly gave his life as the supreme sacrifice of love for us.  He prayed first for Himself.  He had seen the horror of public crucifixion.  He then prayed for his disciples.  They had their previous life to follow him.  They had depended on him for guidance for these years and soon he would not be with them.  He knew they would have initial difficulty without his physical presence.  Then he prayed for us.  Yes that’s right he prayed for you and me 2000 years ago!  After praying for his disciples he prayed the following; “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. (John 17:20-21)  That’s us.  We came to believe through the message of the disciples.  He doesn’t pray for us to get our doctrine or music preferences together but to be “one”.  We are to be ‘one’ just as Jesus and the Father are one.  Wow! That means no matter what our differences may be we are to be united with one another in a supernatural spiritual harmony as was Jesus (who was God in flesh) and the Father in Heaven!

If this prayer of Jesus is to be answered, it is up to us to ‘stop being ugly with each other’.  We can be different in our race, gender, politics, sports loyalties, philosophy, economic status, etc. but we can never be divided or divisive if we want the world to know the love of God.  Only when people see different races, gender, political, religious, economic and philosophical backgrounds and beliefs living and interacting together in harmony and unity will they know that God sent His love to this world. 

So just as all the pain John Coffey feels and hears every day in the world like ‘pieces of glass in his head’, the lack of love and harmony among mankind breaks the heart of Jesus and destroys the prayerful desire of our Lord in his final few hours on this planet.  Therefore, starting today, make every effort to find unity with everyone you encounter.  Not only will that make your day better it will make the world better as, through such unity, “the world may believe that you have sent me.”