Monday, October 29, 2018

Words Matter

Words have meaning.  I know that sounds simple but it seems to be a truth that we may have lost.  In my lifetime I have seen words redefined to create cultural change.  When I was younger homosexual behavior was usually described as ‘queer’.  That was not a compliment in those days.  Interestingly that word is now embraced and often used by those once slandered with that term.  Anyway, without getting into an argument or discussion about moral behavior, I am only using this example to show how the redefinition of words can have a powerful impact on culture.  I have often said, "If one desires to change the culture the best place to start is to change the language,"  So stay with me as I seek to show how changing the language made a difference in a behavior that was once not as openly tolerable in society but became more acceptable simply by changing the meaning of words.  'Queer' evolved into an ‘alternate lifestyle’ which was a more pleasing.  Then it became ‘Gay’ which once was only an adjective that referred to behavior that was ‘lighthearted and carefree or happily excited’.  Once it became the norm as a description of a lifestyle it made things more acceptable to society.  However, today's use of the word would put an entirely new meaning on the old Fred Astaire movie, 'The Gay Divorcee'.  Anyway, I hope you get my point about the impact of changing the meaning of words.   

A family once was defined by Webster as ‘the basic unit in society traditionally consisting of two parents rearing their children’ then it was redefined as ‘any of various social units differing from but regarded as equivalent to the traditional family’.  Again I am not seeking to make a comment on moral beliefs, rather on how one needs to be aware of the words we use and how the slightest change or redefinition can have major consequences. 

As a Christian minister I made my living studying and using words.  I had to study Greek and Hebrew to better understand and convey the true meaning of Bible verses.  As someone who traveled to different countries I tried to learn some of the language of countries I would visit to communicate better.  I learned that the words and the way you pronounce them can often make a huge difference.  We took a medical team to Cambodia with a Christian dentist who gave free dental work to poor people who had never seen a dentist.  The Cambodian missionaries tried to teach the tonal language to those who were going to assist Dr. Mason by teaching them the Cambodian way to say, “Please open your mouth”.  One of our volunteers wondered why they would always laugh when he asked them to open their mouth.  The missionaries asked him to repeat what he was saying, upon which they also laughed.  In a tonal language the slightest variation of a sound can mean an entirely different word.  With his Southern accent he was actually asking each person in line to, “Please open your chicken.” 

Some differences in word use are not as humorous and some small changes can be dangerous.  I remember reading a different religion's version of John 1:1.  Our Christian Bible says, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”  This version only added one letter but it made a huge and dangerous difference.  Instead of “the Word was God” they added the singular letter ‘a’ between ‘was’ and ‘God’.  This reading; ‘and the Word was a God’ changed the entire theology of Christian belief.  That one letter demoted Jesus from being God in flesh to being 'a' god…like the many other gods that existed in that belief system.  You can see how it is important to realize that words have meaning and changing the meaning can become dangerous. 

Today we often hear of people who are encouraged to speak ‘their truth’.  We are encouraged to honor and believe their ‘personal truth’.  We may have our own memory or version of an event but when I share ‘my truth’ or anyone else shares ‘their truth’ it is not necessarily THE truth.   Truth is not something that is owned or shaped by any individual.  When truth is watered down to fit any individual’s personal experience, philosophy or opinion we are moving to dangerous territory. 

Today there is a gradual cultural shift to make humanism (attaching prime importance to human matters rather than divine) sound good and even like the Godly way to behave and believe.  Humanist beliefs stress the potential value and goodness of human beings, emphasize common human needs, and seek solely rational ways of solving human problems.  While many humanistic philosophies are not necessarily bad, it can be problematic when we think there is a human solution to all the world's  problems.  When we think of ourselves as solely in charge of the planet and our lives, we miss out on the resource that truly is the solution to each problem…Jesus.   Knowing that we are in the hands and control of Jesus can change everything.  I think this is well illustrated by the two poems below. 

Invictus is a well-known tribute that speaks of being in charge of one’s own life.  William Henley wrote it as a young man with strong atheistic beliefs.  When struggling with personal illness he had no other place to find strength than within himself and thus became angry.  He wrote Invictus as a way to shake his fist at the injustice of this world and whatever God others may believe in. 
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
Some years later a parallel poem was written by a less known poet, Dorothea Day, who was a believer and found strength and resources beyond her human understanding.  Notice the difference a relationship with Jesus, The Word, can make in one’s outlook. 
Out of the light that dazzles me,
Bright as the sun from pole to pole,
I thank the God I know to be,
For Christ - the Conqueror of my soul.

Since His the sway of circumstance,
I would not wince nor cry aloud.
Under the rule which men call chance,
My head, with joy, is humbly bowed.

Beyond this place of sin and tears,
That Life with Him and His the Aid,
That, spite the menace of the years,
Keeps, and will keep me unafraid.

I have no fear though straight the gate:
He cleared from punishment the scroll.
Christ is the Master of my fate!
Christ is the Captain of my soul!

Be careful with the words, philosophies and lifestyles you read, listen to, think or follow.  Words matter!  Words make a difference.  The WORD matters!  The WORD makes a difference!