Wednesday, October 31, 2018

What I learned from Barry...and God


This is a true story.  The names have not been changed because there is no one innocent to protect (see Romans 3:23).  It had been quite an eventful year.  I had graduated from the largest accredited Protestant seminary in the world in May.  I was voted on (and approved) to serve as an Associate Pastor in Wichita, KS; my first full time (paid) ministry position.  I got married in August.  So here I am with my Masters Degree, a new job, a new wife… and no idea what in the Wide World of Sports to do.  I am in way over my head.  However, God was in control and sent me to a church that had their troubles, as it seems all do, but they were kind and patient with me.  The Senior Pastor liked me and was a wonderful mentor helping me learn the ropes. 

It was Single Adult Sunday.  We were trying to grow our ministry to single adults.  I had been looking forward to the day.  The single adults would lead in the morning worship service.  We would follow the service with a fellowship lunch (a typical Baptist tradition).  I taught the Single Adult Sunday School class.  We were having our morning coffee fellowship just before I would begin the lesson and there he was.

The doorway seemed to be filled with his presence as the entire class was drawn to his entrance.  He was tall with a white three piece suit.  He wore no necktie but he had a plethora of gold necklaces draped around his neck.  If this were not before his time, he would have reminded everyone of Mr. T except for two things.  Mr. T was bald.  This guy had a huge afro and black beard.  Secondly, Mr. T was black.  This guy was white.  I noticed one of the women in the class was visibly distressed with his appearance so I asked if she was OK.  She came to the church from a life of drug addiction and had a terrified look as she told me, “I recognize the jewelry, he is and angel of the Devil!”  I found out later that she snuck out and smoked a joint in the parking lot to calm her nerves.  That may have been the first medical marijuana usage in the US.  No matter, I was on staff and it was my class so, I walked up and introduced myself and invited him in to join us.  He smiled and told me his name was Barry.  He enjoyed the free coffee and pastries and seemed to enjoy the class. 

Since the singles were leading worship I had the opportunity to sit with my new bride.  We were on the back row, her preferred spot, as the service was about to begin.  She turned and noticed him standing at the rear entrance and was clearly startled and asked, “Who is that?”  At least she didn’t sneak out for a joint.  I had about the same level of maturity then as now so I answered, “He is an angel of the Devil but it’s OK, he was in my Sunday School class.”  Surprisingly enough she still loves me although after 38 years I still have not matured much beyond continuing with such remarks.

Barry stayed for the fellowship dinner and had a lively conversation with the senior pastor and me.  He told us that he couldn’t understand why people seemed to shy away from him.  Clyde, the senior pastor, was bold enough to tell him that his dress (the white suit and jewelry) and his huge afro were quite different from the way most people around there looked.  Barry smiled and said, “If my hair is a problem then I can change that.”  He took off the huge afro wig to expose a shiny bald head.  Needless to say Barry was quite a different character than most of the folks we ran across in Wichita, Kansas. 

However, I learned a great deal as God seemed to lead Barry to us.  We found out that Barry had family in Arizona.  He had received an injury that caused brain damage and received a monthly disability check.  Other than the brain injury that affected his personality, he had consumed quite a large number of drugs in his day and that seemed to also affect his personality and thinking process.  However his family assured that he was not a danger to anyone and he enjoyed a life of wandering over the country.  They were grateful for our update on his whereabouts.  We discovered that he was very childlike and as we reached out to him I believe that for the first time in his life he heard and understood (as much as was possible for him) the Gospel.  Barry professed his faith in Jesus and we baptized him as he became an active member of our church. 

Barry was admittedly not good with his monthly check so Clyde agreed to help him by keeping his money and give him a daily allowance.   Clyde kept strict records of these transactions and asked me to be a third party witness so there would be no question of impropriety.   He was truly an interesting addition to our church family.  Among other things, he was the first male member of our choir with ear rings to my knowledge.  Barry seemed quite at home until one day he came into the church office and told us that it was time for him to move on. 

He thanked us graciously for leading him to know Jesus and helping him with his money and other areas of his life.  Barry told Clyde that he wanted to give him some money to express his appreciation.  Clyde refused saying that the fact that we had helped him was reward enough.  However, Barry insisted and Clyde finally said, “If it is important that you do this that is fine.  Do what you think you need to do and I’ll donate it back to the church.”  Barry smiled and gave Clyde $50.  We shook hands and bid him a fond farewell as he drove out of the parking lot.  We had not been back in Clyde’s office very long when Barry returned and said, “You know, I got to thinking and I may need that $50.”  We all smiled as Clyde returned the money and we watched Barry drive off into the next adventure that God had for him…and to whomever God would lead him. 

I share this story because it taught me several things that I hope will be helpful to you.  First, God has all sorts of children in this world.  If we will be open to those who may be a little different we can truly be used of God to help one another along in this journey of life.  Second, “Never be afraid of anything from God.”  That was a phrase that Clyde taught me.  We may encounter things in life that we have not learned about in a book or class, I never learned about anyone like Barry in seminary, but if we will be open to what God brings us and respond in love and trust we may allow God to open some doors to wonderful experiences of faith and love in our lives and the lives of others that we could not imagine.  Finally, I am reminded that there is always hope when we place our faith in God.  If ‘an angel of the Devil’ could find a life changing relationship with the love of Jesus there may be hope for anyone. 

Press On!