Saturday, January 12, 2019

Whose Boy Are You?


I was filling my gas tank when Mr. Willie More Dison stepped out of the store and began staring at me.  I was the new pastor of Old Saline Baptist Church.  I was 29 and was getting to know my way around the small rural community of Saline, Louisiana.  I grew up in a medium sized county seat city in Mississippi.  Cathy grew up in a large capital city in SC.  We were a young couple with our first baby and now adjusting to the pleasant life in rural Louisiana.  We lived 50 miles from our hospital and pediatrician.  There were a few small stores in the town but no stop light.  You could get gas and a few items but any major shopping required a 50 mile round-trip drive.  While we did not grow up in such a small community we were learning to love it and still look back with fondness as some of our happiest times.  However, I need to get back to Willie More trying to figure out who I was.

As the new pastor of Old Saline Baptist Church I learned that a creek divided the Old Saline and Pine Grove church communities.  People who lived on one side of the creek normally attended Pine Grove while people who lived on the other side of the creek usually attended Old Saline.  Mr. Willie More Dison had lived his whole life in the community and was now one of the senior statesmen.  Mr. Willie More was a member of the neighboring Pine Grove Baptist Church and he had not yet had the occasion to meet the new pastor of Old Saline church.  He identified the younger folks by their parents.  He looked at me for a while and couldn’t place me in a family and finally asked, “Whose boy are you?”  I smiled and answered, “I am Jack and Dot Drees’s boy but that won’t answer what you really want to know.” I then told him that I was the new pastor at Old Saline.  He was satisfied and would now know me when we bumped into each other again.

I have often thought about that encounter and the way we are regularly identified with our parents and ancestors, whether we like it or not.  I was very fortunate to be born into a good family.  I always enjoyed returning to my home town and hearing; “Aren’t you Jack and Dot’s son?” usually followed by some pleasant and respectful memory of my parents.  I was indeed lucky to have them as my parents and am still always proud to be identified with their name and memory.  I avoided some of the typical stupid adolescent and teen behavior because I never wanted to disgrace the good family name they worked so hard to build.  Whether we are aware of it or not, people are watching us, even when we do not realize it…and often they know who we are.  So, our behavior is always important.  It not only is a reflection on us but also it is a reflection on those whom we may represent. 

People often identify us with our family or ancestors.  When overseas, I was identified with my American heritage.  That can be good or bad depending on the legacy of our nationality or culture.  However, if one behaves as a true child of God one never has a problem being accepted or embraced wherever one may be or with whomever one may encounter.  The same cannot be said of all religious affiliations.  All of the world’s religious organizations and institutions have some stain or blemish on their history.  All have offended or abused others at some point in history.  However there is a real difference in being a member of a religious organization and being a true child of God. 

The 12th and 13th verses of the first chapter of John’s gospel tell us that those who believe in and receive Jesus become children of God.  All humans obviously are ‘born of man’, having a physical birth, but those ‘born of God’, having a Spiritual birth are different.  They/we know and see a different world with a different purpose for existence.  Those who have been ‘born of the Spirit’ have a Spiritual nature, insight and understanding that no religion on earth can teach, give, manufacture or really comprehend.  By the way I am intentionally using a capital S as I am referring to the Holy Spirit rather than a good or benevolent human spirit. THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE!

True children of God receive and reflect the love of God as a natural outpouring of who we are to all we encounter.  Religious people usually try to compel people join their way of religious life or reject them as outsiders.   Often religion can lead to kind and benevolent actions but even those activities can be done in a self-serving or condescending manner.  God and his children love and seek to treat everyone with the same devotion.  

I write this as an encouragement for everyone to make certain of their Spiritual heritage.  One may claim membership or affiliation with a specific church, religious organization or tradition but one’s continued and eternal behavior is the true indicator of one’s Spiritual heritage.  Over many years I have discovered that there is a common element found in all who cause conflict and turmoil in churches, religious organizations and society.  They are like Nicodemus (John 3) and Saul of Tarsus (Acts 9).  They may be well versed in religion; however they have not yet had a life-changing encounter with Jesus.  There is a huge difference in being a member of a church or religion and being ‘born of the Spirit’.  A true child of God has a Spiritual nature that reflects the true image of God to everyone they encounter everywhere they may go and no matter what situation they may encounter.    
We just completed the season of the year when we often the hear the Christmas song; ‘What Child is This?’  It is a beautiful song but the more important question may be, “Whose child are you?”