Friday, July 19, 2019

Never a Bad Day


A few weeks ago I had my 67th birthday.  If you forgot or were busy it's still not too late to send gifts.  Cash is always appreciated.  Family and friends made the day special for me but I must be honest, I wasn’t too excited about now being ‘officially in my late 60’s!’   I am at the age where my body and mind are showing the effects of nearly 7 decades.  However, my appreciation of savoring each moment of the life I have been given was given a huge shot of adrenaline not long after Walter called asking me for a favor.  He needed to take care of some business with his bank and wanted me to go to town with him.  I thought it would just be another errand to help a senior citizen.  Boy was I wrong.   

I came to know Walter (Not his real name.  He would be embarrassed if I used his name to brag on him.) several years ago as I served as an area minister.  I was not his pastor but had spoken in his church a few times and helped with some ministry needs.  He and his wife came to my office one day and asked me to be the executor of their estate.  They had no children and for some reason saw me as a responsible person who could be trusted with that task.  My first thought was, “They should have gotten out more to meet more people”.  But what was I to say?  They chose me so I told them I would do the best I could to help them.  Walter has now been a widower for several years.  He is 94 and I don’t mind helping him.  He is a sweetheart of a guy.  However I did not know what Paul Harvey would call “The rest of the story” until this recent trip to take him to his bank.  He still drives but usually short trips for local errands.  As I pulled into his driveway I noticed, for the first time, the tag on his car was a permanent POW tag.  I never knew he was a prisoner of war.  He had never spoken about this to me.

As we were on the way I mentioned his POW license plate and said, “I never knew you were a prisoner of war.”  He shrugged his shoulders as if it were no big deal and began telling me how he enlisted in the Air Force at age 18 during World War 2.  He was a turret gunner operating a 50 caliber machine gun on a B-17 bomber when his plane was hit on a bombing mission over Nazi occupied France.  The pilot realized that they would not make it back to England and rather than ditch in the English Channel risking the lives of his ten member crew he crash-landed in a field.  The crew began scrambling for safety hoping to encounter members of the French Resistance or French citizens more sympathetic to assist Americans rather than fearful of the Nazis.  

He continued recounting this event in a calm manner that would be similar to me telling someone about mowing the yard rather than describing something that sounded, to me, like an exciting plot from a movie.  They found a French farm and the farmer spoke enough English to allow them to ask permission to sleep in his barn.  They hoped to hide for the night, get some rest and seek help to be rescued.  However, they didn’t realize that the farmer’s fear of the Gestapo was greater than his desire to help the American soldiers.  While they piled up hay to make a bed and drifted off to sleep he was contacting the Gestapo to turn them in.  Walter was awakened from his exhausted sleep, as he explained it by; “a kick in the ribs by a boot and I woke up looking at the barrel of a Nazi machine gun.”  He and the crew spent the rest of the war in a German POW camp.  He calmly, without resentment of mistreatment, told me that it was “cold and difficult but the Russian prisoners were treated worse.  They seemed to carry out a dead Russian each day.”

As I drove listening to this remarkable story of a young kid just out of his late teenage years who survived being shot down over Nazi territory, being captured and help prisoner in a Nazi prison camp; I simply could not believe this quiet senior adult church member who had humbly asked me to assist him in his old age because he had no living heirs was such a war hero.  Tom Brokaw’s book, The Greatest Generation, profiles those ‘ordinary men and women’ who came of age during World War II in the United States. In the book, Brokaw wrote, "it is, I believe, the greatest generation any society has ever produced". He argued that these men and women fought not for fame and recognition, but because it was the "right thing to do".  Afterwards they came home and most lived quiet lives.  Walter was one of this ‘Greatest Generation’.  I had primarily known Walter to be a man of quiet faith.  He had his share of difficulties and ailments that come from living 94 years but I had never known him to complain.  I guess when you have survived being shot down behind enemy lines, awakened by a kick in the ribs by a Nazi holding a machine gun in your face and then being held prisoner in a German POW camp, the troubles of today are not so bad.  The complaints we have are trivial in comparison.  The rudest awakening from sleep I have experienced was loud snoring…and it was me!

Thanks to you, Walter, and all of the unsung heroes who gave us the great life we have today and who continue to teach us how to appreciate and fully enjoy each day.  I began to have a greater realization that we should do all we can to honor these heroes.  I furthermore realized that I should not despair about being closer to 70 than any time in my life with the normal occurrences of aging.  I also feel a little ashamed of ever complaining about anything!  I will think twice before I have my next ‘pity party’ to grumble about any inconvenience in my life.  I hope the story of Walter gives you a new outlook as well.  Never have a bad day!