Saturday, September 28, 2019

Lighten The Load


One of the things often anticipated upon retirement is travel.  I enjoy going to visit new places but I am not always crazy about the travel.  I traveled a lot in my ministry.  I once served in a ministry position with responsibility for 50 churches scattered over 6 counties.  Every Sunday I would drive to a different church.  One Sunday was in 5 different churches.  I also led and participated in various mission trips to many states as well as Disaster Relief mission trips to states recovering from hurricanes, tornadoes or floods.  Additionally I led and participated in numerous overseas mission trips traversing five of the seven continents.  During one 4 week stretch I traveled over 15,000 miles covering 8 different states and 3 different countries.  I was much younger, more energetic and apparently less wise in those days. 

Although I have flown a great deal, I am not a big fan.  Strapping into a metal tube filled with explosive liquid is still not logical in my mind for both physical and spiritual reasons.  I just don’t think something that big and heavy should be that far off the ground and on a spiritual note, God says, “Lo, I will be with you always.”; which can be interpreted as, “Hey, you are on your own when you are up there!”   I also hate all the security measures one has to go through before boarding the airplane.  Every time I fly my anger toward Osama Bin Laden is rekindled.  So all of this is to say that over the years I have learned that it is best to pack less and travel light.  Before every trip I try to think of the essentials.  What do I really need?  What can I do without?  How can I make the travel less burdensome and more enjoyable? 

Several years ago I realized that the same thinking will improve my journey through life.  What do I really need?  What can I do without? How can I make the travel less burdensome and more enjoyable?  So often we travel through life loaded down with burdens that rob us of the joy of the journey.  Jesus teaches us to lighten the load in Matthew 11:28-29, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my burden is easy and my load is light.”  As I became more familiar with Jesus I began to see and truly learn from Him that He knew how to travel light.  He never was burdened by the physical and emotional baggage that often robs us of the daily joy of life.  I began to look at the baggage many of us carry through life and the way that Jesus teaches us to discard those heavy burdens.  Perhaps, some of the following luggage has held you back long enough. 

Selfish Ego and Greed can be a huge suitcase that becomes increasingly heavy to carry everywhere you go.  We cannot fully enjoy everyday pleasures of life when we are carrying a large ego, thinking primarily of ourselves.  Jesus tells us to learn from him in Luke 9:23, “Then he said to them all: “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.”  The cross of self-denial is a much lighter load for the day’s journey.  When we put serving God and others above our ego and our personal desires then life can truly become easier and more joyful. 

Anger seems to be a growing piece of luggage that steals joy.  Road rage and impatience not only can take away daily joy but anger can ruin and shorten one’s journey in life in many ways.  Anger is not an emotion we can avoid; in fact it can be used in a positive way.  For example, abortion, child and spousal abuse anger me so I try to pack that anger in a lightweight bag used to battle those evils.  Ephesians 4:26 tells us to, “Be angry and sin not” implying that anger is not necessarily wrong or destructive but the way we unpack our anger is the key in whether it becomes helpful or a burden.  Holding on to anger is like dragging a large suitcase with one wheel that has fallen off.  It even affects prayer and worship as Jesus tells us in Matthew 5:23-24, “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar.  First, go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.” Forgive and let it go!

Gossip, Negative Thoughts/Words, Worry & Anxiety can also be combined or carried individually as cumbersome baggage that can be left behind for a more enjoyable and joyful journey.  We are given several scriptural remedies that can be used to discard these burdens.    
·         Proverbs 26:20, “Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip a quarrel dies down.”
·         I Thessalonians 5:16, “Be joyful always.” This short verse is a command & not a suggestion!
·         Philippians 4:6-8, “Whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think on those things.”  Don’t pack anything that’s not positive!
·         Philippians 4:6-7, “Don’t be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Prayer is easier to carry.
·         Matthew 6:34, “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own.”  Enjoy today and leave tomorrow  to God!

Some would say that I am getting too long-winded and I should leave that ‘windbag’ at home but there’s another type of luggage I want to suggest leaving behind and it is Guilt & Shame.  Some have done things that continue to trouble us or perhaps someone did something to us in the past and it lingers to weigh us down each day.  Scripture reminds us that God is always in the forgiving business.  1 John 1:9 reminds us, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”  The burden of shame is removed in Romans 8:1, “Therefore, there is now NO CONDEMNATION for those who are in Christ Jesus.”  So no matter what you have done or what has been done to you leave the heavy luggage of guilt and shame with God as well as any other baggage that is weighing you down, it truly is the best way to travel.  I hope you enjoy the rest of your journey!