Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Neal


Forty years ago I met Neal.  I often think of him.  It is good that I do so.  He taught me some valuable lessons.  Neal showed me how to have a positive attitude no matter what the situation may be.  The lesson is backed by Paul’s declaration in Philippians 4:11-13; “I am not complaining about having too little. I have learned to be satisfied with whatever I have.  I know what it is to be poor or to have plenty, and I have lived under all kinds of conditions. I know what it means to be full or to be hungry, to have too much or too little. Christ gives me the strength to face anything.”  It is appropriate that I have a scriptural foundation to this story because I met Neal at seminary as we were both working on our Masters of Divinity degrees.  We graduated together but he was smarter and much wiser.  I always knew study at the Masters level would be challenging.  I was not a good student when I entered the seminary.  In 1974 I graduated dead last in the school of business at Mississippi State University, but that is another story.  I really majored in having fun in college…but that’s also another story. 

I knew seminary would be difficult for me, as I had to learn to study and take things more seriously.  However, when I met Neal I realized that my challenge was not that big of a deal.  Just getting around and having a conversation was a challenge for Neal.  Due to problems at birth Neal’s brain had difficulty getting the proper signals to allow his body to function in a fashion that is effortless and unconsciously normal for us.  His legs did not work but he didn't use a wheel chair.  He walked but not like the rest of us.  Since his brain could not tell one leg to step forward and then the other, as happens naturally with us, he had crutches fastened to his arms, so to get around he would sling one crutch forward and then drag his legs forward then he would repeat the process with the other arm continuing to drag his legs along.  He had steel toes in his shoes because they constantly dragged the ground.  But he ‘walked’ to class with the rest of us.  Neal taught me a special courage to keep from giving in to the ‘difficulties’ and unfairness of life’s circumstances. 

As we walked to class and gathered in groups after class we talked of many things…since we were all single guys the subject of girls often was worked into the conversation.  Neal’s speech was also affected by his birth defect.  There was nothing wrong with his intelligence, his was much smarter than most of us…especially me.  However, the words came out of his contorted mouth slowly and slurred.  One day as we were going across campus with our normal conversation, yes about girls and dating, Neal started laughing and proclaimed that he felt sorry for us.  We stopped and while no one said anything we were probably all thinking the same thing; "Here is this guy who has trouble walking and talking and he feels sorry for us!" 

Neal didn’t keep us in suspense about the reason for his pity on us as he grinned with his twisted smile and explained; “When I get married I am going to know beyond all doubt that she truly loves me for who I am and not for the way I look or act.  I will know true love while you may wonder if she will find some more handsome or with more money.”  We joined him in laughter but we also knew we were standing in the presence of someone special.  Neal knew Paul’s secret to being content no matter what the circumstances may be.  Contentment is not found in physical appearance, abilities or circumstance in life.  Contentment is found in knowing who God sees when he looks through us and knowing He loves who he sees through our faith in Christ!  Neal taught us that who we really are is reflected more from the heart than the mirror. 

As my life has been affected by the many years and events that have passed, I am increasingly slower in getting up from chairs and getting around.  I ache in places I never knew existed in my youth.  I also have times of sadness as I remember loved ones who are now gone.  However, rather than having a lengthy pity party I think of Neal, the Apostle Paul and Jesus as I remember that I can always find contentment no matter what my circumstances may be.  Physical appearances and abilities will change.  Relationships will come and go.  Integrity, humility, love, compassion and a pure heart can last for eternity and make all else seem frivolous.  What is seen from my heart is far more important than what I see in the mirror. 

I don’t think I will ever forget graduation from seminary.  Neal was ahead of me in the line, which was appropriate for many reasons.  He managed his way up the stairs with the crutches attached to his arms and his feet dragging behind.  As he stood on the stage and heard his named called the excitement overcame him and he shouted and raised his right crutch in the air.  He immediately fell with a thud.  A hush fell on the audience but when we realized he was not hurt no one moved.  We all seemed to know that this was Neal’s moment.  In spite of being severely physically hindered in mobility and speech Neal had accomplished a level of achievement attained by few able-bodied people.  He needed to walk these final steps on his own.  I remember sensing the collective energy of the entire auditorium as we all sought to ‘will’ him up from the floor.  Neal struggled to his feet and slung one crutch ahead of the other with his feet dragging behind making those final steps on his own.  Without a doubt Neal had the night’s greatest ovation as the seminary president shook his hand and presented him his Masters degree. 

As stated at the beginning of this story, it is good for me to think of Neal.  I confess that I can be too superficial at times.  We all know what it is like to spend too much time looking in the mirror worrying about that hairline that seems to be receding overnight, the gray that is increasing in the hair that remains, those wrinkles we didn’t notice yesterday, the midsection that is gradually increasing…I could go on but I think you get the picture.  Physical abilities and the way we look will always change, sometimes not the way we desire.  However, as I learned long ago from Neal (and Jesus), what is seen in our heart is far more important than what is seen in the mirror!