Wednesday, December 25, 2019

2020, The Year for Perfect Vision

I was working on my doctorate doing much more study and reading than normal when I noticed the words were more blurred than normal.  I tried the universal method to improve one’s vision, squinting, and still the words on the page were not clear.  My eye doctor told me that when most men reach their mid-forties, my age at that time; their eyes need more time to focus.  I told him, “I can’t wait that long I need to read this stuff before sundown and it ain’t happening.”  Forgive the grammar but remember I had not completed my doctoral work at the time. He suggested cheap reading glasses initially because I was “still in the 20/20 range.”  Being in the range for 20/20 vision is never as good and having perfect 20/20 vision.  It’s important to see clearly but clear Spiritual vision is more essential.  Spiritual vision guides your life now and eternally.  I use a capital S as I refer to vision led by the Holy Spirit rather than any other spirit, feeling or intuition.

Proverbs 29:18; “Where there is no vision, the people perish” is often quoted, and also misinterpreted, by those seeking to promote personal plans and agenda.  The verse is not about a big idea from an individual.  The “vision” in this verse refers to a divine communication, a revelation from God.  “Perish” comes from the Hebrew word, paw-rah', the word used where a woman's hair was let to flow out of its covering (hairband).  Unconstrained in the wind her hair is out of control and blown in all directions.  The proverb is asserting the truth that without a divine communication (revelation from God), a person’s life can be influenced to go in all sorts of directions.  The results may not always be positive.

Correcting and restoring 20/20 vision can be done with corrective lenses.  I am using them as I write this.  Gaining and maintaining perfect Spiritual vision is a different matter.  Writing and reading without my corrective lenses can be embarrassing.  I make many grammatical mistakes and typos when writing without my glasses.  My spelling mistakes, however, come from being creative.  I have always relied on the fact that “anyone who spells the same word the same way all the time has no imagination!”  However, faulty vision not funny and can be dangerous.  I wonder why directions on medicine bottles use such tiny print.  It seems smaller as I age.  Does it say to take 1 every 4 hours or 4 every 8 hours?

Incorrect Spiritual decision can be even more dangerous.  Your quality of life now and for eternity depends on clearly seeing and following God’s vision for your life.  Living without a clear vision can lead to a life ‘like a woman’s hair unconstrained directionless and blown in all directions’.  A good friend recently told me that she was utilizing the year 2020 to seek a clear vision concerning what God wanted for her at this time in her life.  She smiled and said, “2020 is the year for perfect vision!”  I thought, “What a great way to look at the year 2020, not just as a new calendar year but as a time to seek a clear 20/20 Spiritual vision from God!”

There have been times in my life when God seemed to be directing me as clearly as the GPS map on my phone.  Then there are times when I go off in the wrong direction not paying attention to the voice and map on my phone.  I wondered why so many people in Niagara Falls Park were staring at me with dirty looks as I was driving the only car on the bridge until I saw the Pedestrians Only sign.  In my excitement I had ignored the correct guidance of my GPS and had driven my car onto the walking path.   Oops!

It is easy to become distracted and not pay attention to God’s voice or directions.  Life is more like traveling by airplane than a journey by train.  Once you board the train you simply sit back and enjoy the trip as the train follows the tracks to the next destination.  Traveling by airplane is different.  After the airplane takes off several things can affect the original flight plan.  A storm or other unexpected events can require adjustments leading to an alternate time of arrival or even a different destination.  Life’s journey is similar.  A plan is valuable but what’s happening right now will affect when, where, how or if I arrive.  Daily vision and adjustments are as important as long-range vision.  Both should come from God.

So how does one seek perfect Spiritual vision, divine communication?  King Solomon asked God for an “understanding heart” to make good judgments and discern between right and wrong (1 Kings 3:9).  Jesus also spoke of the importance of the heart for Spiritual vision in the beginning of the Sermon on the Mount proclaiming, “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.” (Matthew 5:8).  God’s Spiritual anatomy connects the eyes with the heart.  A heart harboring anger, envy, lust, greed, selfishness, etc. will lead to a direction far from God’s perfect vision for one’s life.  A good prescription for 20/20 Spiritual vision is found in Galatians 5:22 &23 known as the Fruit of the Spirit.  Fruit is the natural growth from a healthy plant.  A healthy and pure Spiritual heart is filled with thoughts that are loving, happy, peaceful, patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle, and self-controlled.  I John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”  So a pure heart that is essential to ‘see’ God’s perfect vision for our lives begins with an honest examination confessing anything that does not naturally follow and develop Spiritual fruit.


Going back to the conversation with my eye doctor in my mid-forties, I followed his advice and got reading glasses and finished the work so I AM a Doctor!  Therefore, I offer the following prescription to make 2020 our year of perfect Spiritual vision; start today and continue daily with a healthy and honest Spiritual self-examination.  Submit to a daily visit with the Great Physician following His prescription found in Psalm 139:23-24, “Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”  As we daily confess, repent and receive His cleansing to have a pure heart we will be amazed how our Spiritual vision improves allowing us to more clearly see His perfect vision for our lives.  I look forward to seeing what He has in store for 2020, The Year for Perfect Vision!