Friday, April 10, 2020

Finding & Keeping Hope


I had just finished meeting with my staff when my secretary told me there was a man in the waiting area outside my office “needing to talk to a minister”.  Over the years I learned that “needing to talk to a minister” could mean any one of numerous things; someone seeking counsel on spiritual, relationship or financial matters.  In my experience, most of the time strangers came to the church ask for money.  However this situation would prove to be different. 

I introduced myself and invited the gentleman into my office.  He did not respond by giving his name.  That wasn’t unusual.  People seeking counsel from a minister other than their own usually want to remain anonymous.  I asked how I could help and he responded with this question, “If a person commits a terrible sin just before dying will they still go to Heaven?".  This immediately got my attention as it was August 12; the morning after the comedian, Robin Williams, had committed suicide.  I knew the real question was; “If I kill myself will I go to Hell?”  This man was contemplating suicide. 

I have studied, taught and shared this misunderstood query over the years.  People have asked if their loved one, who took their own life, also lost their way to Heaven with the act of suicide.  The correct theological answer is NO!  The last act a person commits, no matter how sinful, does not determine one’s eternal destiny.  That is determined by a person’s faith relationship with Jesus.  But this was not the time to discuss theological technicalities.  I needed to keep this man from harming himself. 

When a person indicates that they are contemplating suicide every counselor obviously seeks gently to guide the person away from such action.  I told him I would answer his question but first I asked him to tell me a little about what was going on in his life.  This man was not really seeking a lesson in theology.   He needed someone to give him hope.  I listened and then we began looking at reasons to have hope and move past the discouragement and despair of the moment.  He never told me his name but thanked me for helping him and we prayed before he departed.  I prayed again after he left.  I tried my best to give him the help he needed to keep from harming himself but since he wanted to remain anonymous and I knew I had no way to check up on him.  So, I prayed him into God’s care and had to leave it there. 

I always enjoyed walking around the sanctuary before the worship service started, speaking to members and greeting visitors.  Several months after the encounter described above I noticed a lady sitting on the end of the pew next to the isle.  I had never seen her before and began to approach and welcome her when I noticed the gentleman sitting next to her.  I knew I still needed to honor his desire for anonymity so I greeted him and his wife as if I had never met either of them before.  As I welcomed them to our church she reached out her hand and as I extended mine (mother taught me that a gentleman always waits for a lady to extend her hand first) she held my hand gently and looked at me with a knowing smile of gratitude and said, “Thank you so much for everything!”  Without any other words the three of us silently rejoiced in hope that had been found and restored.
 
We are living in some stressful and uncertain times.  I often tell people that life on this planet is always uncertain and the only thing that is really certain is the reality of uncertainty.  We just don’t realize it unless there is a sudden reminder, such as the current pandemic or an unexpected phone call with bad news or a medical exam that did not give a positive response.  In those times we are smacked in the face with the reality that the future is uncertain.  Rather than becoming discouraged or hopeless we must seek to do as my anonymous friend and I did in my office that Tuesday morning several years ago.  Instead of looking into a black hole of gloom and hopelessness we must always seek reasons for life and hope.  

I am re-reading ‘Man’s Search for Meaning’, Psychiatrist Viktor Frankl's memoir and descriptions of life in Nazi death camps and its lessons for spiritual survival.  Frankl speaks of the importance of finding a reason to live no matter how difficult and discouraging life can become, and I don’t think too many of us can even truly imagine the horrors of being a prisoner in a Nazi death camp.  Friedrich Nietzsche, long before those horrors, spoke of the importance of overcoming negative and discouraging situations by having a reason to live; “He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.”

Again, I know we are living with much uncertainty today.  However, there is not better ‘why to live for’ than Easter gives us.  There is no better hope than that given by the bodily resurrection of Jesus.  That power to restore life to a cold dead body is still available to restore hope and give a reason to live abundantly no matter what the circumstance may be.  This is why the Apostle Paul wrote the following while unjustly imprisoned; “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”  (Philippians 4:11-13)

I have to admit that I was never as inspired or as eloquent as the Apostle but I have been fond of telling people that; “We need to remember that we are the people of the resurrection!  We are the people of the empty tomb.  I recently checked and all the founders of major religions such as Mohammed, Siddhārtha Gautama (better known as Buddha), Confucius, Joseph Smith, etc. are all still dead.  Only one has an empty tomb.  Jesus is the only one in history who actually borrowed a tomb.  He only needed it for the weekend.  When we look to Jesus and place faith in Him there is eternal hope and reason to live abundantly.  The worst that can happen for a believer is that we die and go to Heaven forever!”  

Now I can live with that!