Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Staying Home


Years ago I asked God to give up on providing me opportunities to learn patience.  You know how it works, you are running late on a two lane highway and the car in front of you drives ridiculously below the speed limit…and there is no safe place to pass.  Or you run in the store for three quick items and get in the ‘Express Check-Out’ line (15 items or less) since you only have three items and the person in front of you clearly can’t count!  My Gosh, how can you think a 47 items are the same as 15 or less?  And yes I counted them all!  I had plenty of time while I had to wait on you to buy a month’s worth of groceries in the EXPRESS LINE!!!  And how can you still not figure out how to use the credit card device???? You just swipe or insert the card in the chip reader!!!   Come ON!!! 

I think you get the point of my struggle.  So, I certainly do not have the patience to ‘shelter-in-place’.  Why not just say, “Stay Home”?  I guess ‘shelter-in-place’ sounds more official.  I should have more patience with the terminology we often use also.   I understand that we are in very unusual times and we have to try to keep ourselves and one another well.  However; for those of you, like me, who are social animals and who also get ‘cabin fever’ about every 15 minutes here are a few of the ways I try to keep my sanity (what’s left of it) in these days of staying home.  Maybe you will find some helpful ideas for yourself. 

There is always ‘binge watching’ TV programs.  I would suggest keeping away from the news other than catching a brief summary of necessary information.  I begin each morning by checking with several national, international and local Internet news sites.  I can quickly click on information and filter out the politically and agenda driven ‘news’ and then I can sort out  the truly helpful information.  However; if you are hyper, like me, there is only so much time you can sit and watch anything. Then I turn it off and seek to move to positive activities for my body, mind, soul and spirit. 

Since the gym has closed I have returned to walking the streets in my neighborhood.  As an early morning person I find it physically and spiritually refreshing to take a brisk two mile walk as I watch the sun rise on a new day of life.  Our front porch faces the setting sun so, at the end of the day, we enjoy sitting in our rocking chairs waving at neighbors who are walking in the evening while we read or catch up with friends and family on the phone.  Social distance is not an issue when you FaceTime!

This is a great time to call elderly family, friends and church members.  I found, during my pastoral career, that the elderly who are primarily home-bound even during normal times battle loneliness more than we realize.  Many have lost their spouses and were truly energized when the pastor came to visit.  It also energized me as they have so much wisdom and experience in life to share.  In these days when older adults are wisely encouraged to stay home, a phone call from a friend or loved one can truly lift their spirits…and yours as well. 

We have also enjoyed finding new recipes and taking the time to cook at home more now that restaurants are limited to ‘take-out’ or delivery.  However, I would encourage moderation or you may have to take an extra lap around the neighborhood. 

This is also a great time to catch up on reading.  While many libraries may be closed there are many resources on the web to find books.   Most libraries have free apps like Hoopla, Overdrive, Nook, etc.  There is also a book that is already in most homes (and easily available on the Internet) that could be helpful for the soul and spirit in these difficult and uncertain times. 

One of my seminary professors gave me a plan that allows the follower to read through the New Testament in one month.  Even a slow reader, like me, can do this in about thirty minutes a day.   A common failing even among Christians is lack of Bible knowledge.  This plan calls for reading the New Testament through every thirty days if the reader desires to do so. 

However, if that is a little too much for you, have no fear I am a master at seeking something simpler.  Remember I am a product of the Mississippi public school system.  I grew up saying, “Do we have to read all of this?”  I counted and there are 89 chapters in the four Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke & John).  I also noticed that there are 30 days in a month (I know about February…don’t get too technical).  I know you didn’t know math was going to be included but hang with me…So, if you read 3 chapters a day, you can read through the four Gospels in a month.  Jesus told us to teach (and follow) everything he commanded us.  To know what he commanded, we must become familiar with his teachings and life.  So each day one should read three chapters on the corresponding day to complete the reading each month.  Hey, they don’t give out Doctorate degrees to chimps!  Seriously, this is a great way to become more familiar with the life and teachings of Jesus as an inspirational and uplifting activity that only takes a few minutes each day. 

Anyway, I hope some of this has been helpful as we seek to ride out the days of this pandemic.  Hang in there until we can get together again ASAP.  Until then, pray for one another and stay well.