Tuesday, May 19, 2020

On Top of the World


It was May 28, 1970.  I sat with about 340 young men and women in metal chairs on the gym floor looking at our teachers on the platform and parents in the stands as we shouted triumphantly; “We’re The Best at S.D. Lee, The Mighty Class of 70!”  We were seniors, graduating from high school and we thought we were ON TOP OF THE WORLD!  We didn’t know what the future held but I will never forget that feeling of exhilaration knowing that I had made it!  I remember driving around town later just smiling and waving at everyone I saw.  One of the joys of growing up in a small town is that you know most of the people you see.  I had a huge grin that screamed; “I am a senior and I am ON TOP OF THE WORLD!”

50 years later I have arrived at the place Mark Twain supposedly described (when in doubt you can always credit Mark Twain with any quote) as ‘remembering things that never happened’.  For my 40th reunion, we were asked to submit high school memories for a booklet.  I wrote; “I remember being 6’ 4” and being elected Most Handsome, Wittiest, Most Likely to Succeed, Captain of the Football & Basketball team, Valedictorian and Mr. Lee High.  However, I have taken a lot of prescription medication and consumed a number of Diet Dr. Peppers with aspartame over the years so I may have forgotten a thing or two.  Funny, I looked back in the yearbook and they only listed me as Sports Editor.”  It got a laugh but I do have many serious memories that will always be valued.

I remember friends who did not get to celebrate our graduation as their life was cut short.  The first funerals I remember attending were classmates Alan and Bill who died in a tragic car wreck.  I remember Arnold who did not have a car due to his seizure disorder.  He rode a moped to school and we teased him because most of us had never seen a small motorcycle with pedals.  It was no longer funny when he didn’t make it to school one day because he didn’t survive that final major seizure.  There were others I also recall whose lives were shortened not long after graduation.  I will always remember Dobert calling me one Friday afternoon asking if she could ride with me if I was going home from college that weekend.  I told her I was not leaving until Saturday so she decided to drive home in her own car.  The next day when I passed the place on the highway where she was killed in a collision with a carload of students who had too much to drink, the feeling is still difficult to describe.  Ricky and I met on the first day of class in the first grade and remained best friends all through school.  He was probably the most talented and gifted person I have ever known.  He was only 52 when his life ended.  We all have similar memories of friends or family members who left us too soon. 

These memories taught me that life is uncertain, fragile, precious and fleeting.  That lesson is far more important than anything I ever learned in a classroom.  Joe, a good friend and fellow classmate, devised a ‘Roller Coaster’ philosophy of life; “Enjoy the slow climb to the peak because a sudden drop may be waiting.”  Every life truly has a mixture of joy and sorrow.  While there may be times of grief, sorrow and despair there will always be times when we reach a peak and have that feeling of being ON TOP OF THE WORLD!  It may be the time when you walked out of the church for the first time holding hands as husband and wife.  Or it may be the time when you held your new baby.  Whatever the moment may be, every life has moments that we need to savor and remember!

I am constantly amazed at how many people go through life clinging to anger, jealousy, negative memories, thoughts and destructive behavior.  If these years have taught me anything I have learned that life is indeed uncertain.  No matter what age or station of life we may attain our next breath could be our last.  So, why hold on to any negative emotion or action?  If someone has wronged you, forgive them as quickly as possible.  If you have wronged someone, apologize and ask for forgiveness without delay.  Life is too short to hold on to any destructive action, emotion or memory. 

God promised a few things that are certain in life.  He promised that no matter what happens He will never leave or forsake me (Hebrews 13:5).  He told me that no matter how I may feel about the way I look or feel (as the shortest boy in class I always wondered what it would be like to be tall), I am fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14).  He also told me that I am precious and honored in His sight, and because He loves me (Isaiah 43:4). 

Now as this member of the ‘Mighty Class of 70’ approaches the age of 70.  I have priceless memories and lessons of life to remind me that every day should be savored.  Every friendship cherished.  Each day I wake (as a senior citizen I now wake before the sun rises) with an early morning exercise ritual.  I do one push-up if I wake on my face and one sit-up if I wake on my back.  Some parts wake slower than others but I treasure the fact that I am awake, alive and here.  Although the day ahead is uncertain and could even be my last, I will make the most of it because God will never leave or forsake me.  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  I am precious and honored in His sight and He loves me.  Even though I am 50 years removed from that mountain top experience as a graduating high school senior, I still celebrate the gift of life today as I am a now senior (citizen) and I am ON TOP OF THE WORLD!