Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Whew, That Was Too Close for Comfort


If Mississippi State University graduating students entered the auditorium according to grades with the highest grades first, I would have closed the door behind me.  Anyone with a lower GPA would not be able to graduate.  I have rarely told this story because it is not the type you put on your resume but it is true and I think there are some redeeming truths that can be learned.  So…

I had fun in college.  I was not a ‘party person’.  In fact, if alcohol was involved I was usually the one who stayed sober and took care of others.  I may have been the first designated driver.  However, there seemed to be endless opportunities for sports, games, pranks, or just stupid freshman college behavior in general.  I didn’t have a clue what I was going to do with my life so I majored in accounting, mainly because some of my friends did and I was told that there were good paying jobs in that field.  However, study was not a priority since I was not highly motivated in accounting as a career and, as stated earlier, I would rather play than study.  I was easy prey for any distraction.  Distractions are numerous for a freshman in college so my grades were nothing to write home about.  And I didn’t know that my mid-term grades would be mailed to my home.  My parents, who were paying for my ‘education’, were not impressed with 4 F’s and a C for my first mid-term report.  After a serious meeting with mom and dad I realized I needed to create a more effective study pattern.  I managed to pull up all the grades to a passing average for the end of the semester, but still went on academic probation because my first GPA was below 2 points.  MSU used the ‘four point system’, meaning anything below a 2 point Grade Point Average would not be a passing grade. 

I continued to hover in academic mediocracy for the next 3 years as there were always opportunities for fun or stupid behavior that had nothing to do with study.  I also was drifting because I didn’t really know what to do with my life so a dedicated academic focus on business classes was difficult.  There was always an underlying sense that God was going to call me into the ministry but I was so spiritually naïve and immature that I thought He would speak to me from a burning bush or a voice from Heaven.  So, until that event I would just rock along and enjoy life.  And I did…until my senior year.  I was able to do enough math to realize that my GPA was insufficient to the point that I needed to make the Dean’s List, which meant at least 3.6/4.0 (average of A- and A for all subjects), to qualify for graduation.

For the first time I really began to study…more than just enough to get by.  It paid off as I checked final grades posted for all subjects and there it was; William Harold Drees had made the Dean’s list and would graduate!  I was so overcome with joy that I went back to my dorm and celebrated by tossing all my books out of the eighth floor window of my dorm room, shouting; “I am never going to have to study again!”  Note to self; NEVER SAY, “NEVER”!

The feeling of joy lasted until a few days from graduation when I received a phone call at home from Dr. Rogers, the dean of the school of business.  I didn’t know much, but I knew that this was not normal so something was up.  My first thought was, “Oh man is this is about me throwing all the books out of the window?”  However, he informed me that there had been a mistake in the calculation of my grades and I was two quality points shy of the necessary number required for graduation.  He was apologetic as he stated that there was not much time to make up for the problem and suggested that I consult any professors where a borderline A minus may be boosted to an A to give me the two more points needed for graduation.  If that were not possible I could take a class in the summer.  That didn’t appeal to me.

I looked at my grades and my best shot with a borderline grade to possibly be boosted was in a class with a hard-nosed professor.  He agreed to meet and we sat in his office as I nervously watched him study my grades for the semester.  He looked up and told me that my grades were not close enough to be improved.  Even if he gave me credit for perfect attendance and took my cumulative test scores and used that for a final exam, which I did not take as an exempted member of the Dean’s list, he still did not have enough credits to give me the better grade.  My hopes sank as he sat silently for a few minutes with a contemplative look.  He then leaned forward, looked me in the eye and said, “In all my years of teaching I have never given any student anything that I thought they did not deserve…however, I am going to give you the higher A you need for graduation.”  I wasn’t that familiar with Psalm 145:8 then but that verse encapsulated my feelings; “The Lord is gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger and great in mercy.”  This truth would remain prominent for me in my journey into spiritual maturity. 

The Dean told me that since the change was made so near the graduation ceremony that my diploma may not be printed in time.  He told me not to worry, I would receive the folder that contained the diplomas like all the rest of the students, just be careful looking inside and don’t be surprised if it is empty.  It would be mailed to me later.  However, when my name was called and I walked across the stage Dean Rogers handed me the diploma folder and gave me a wink.  I peeked and saw my diploma!  I made it...but, whew, that was too close.  Learn a lesson Bill!!! 

This experience taught me a great deal about life, work and the grace of God.  I became more dedicated to walking closer with God and was able to hear His voice more clearly, without it coming from the clouds or a burning bush.  I would indeed become a better and more focused student in seminary and in my life to follow.  In addition to Psalm 145:8, I later found much comfort in 2 Corinthians 12:9; “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 

God showed me that I could enjoy life but I also needed to work more on the things that required seriousness and discipline.  I came to know a God who is rich in mercy and grace that is powerful in overcoming my weaknesses.  All these years later, God still reminds me of His loving grace and mercy and I believe I can see Him saying; “Remember I am gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger and great in mercy.  My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness…(then I think I see Him smile, nod, wink and say) but, don’t push your luck!”