Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Happy Birthday to the Class of 70

 I graduated from S.D. Lee High School in 1970.  This year I, along with most of my graduating class of 1970, will have our 70th birthday.  The ‘Class of 70’ is turning 70.  Although I have precious memories and loved growing up in Columbus, MS; I rarely get back to my home town as my life's journey has taken me away and I have now lived more years away longer than I lived there.  All of my family members who lived in Columbus have passed away or have moved.  However, I still stay in touch with some classmates and friends who still live there.  Growing up in Columbus in the 60’s, for me, was like Opie growing up in Mayberry.  It seemed such an innocent time.  I could walk the streets alone, as a child, and be safe.  We knew our neighbors, their children and classmates (if we didn’t know them intimately, we knew them well enough to wave or speak in passing and to look out for one another).  Oh, sure things were not perfect. There were injustices.  Some have been defeated over the years; others remain present or have evolved into different issues over time.  Evil and injustice has been present throughout history. However, for me, it seemed such a simple wonderful time and place to grow up.  My mind is constantly stirred with many memories.  At age 70 memory can be tricky.  I think it was Mark Twain (if not, it sounds like something he would say) who said he had arrived at a place in life when he could remember things that never happened.

Celebrating 70 years of life should be a time to look back and learn from experiences and memories. I am first reminded that life is fragile.  Psalm 144:4 says; "Man is like a breath; his days are like a fleeting shadow".  I remember classmates who did not live to celebrate 70 years of life.  I remember Ricky, my best friend from 1st grade through college.  He had the greatest imagination and was a very talented artist and one of the most gifted musicians I have known.  I’m glad for the memories of all the creative things we did growing up and still miss hearing him play.  I remember attending the funeral of Alan & Bill, whose lives were cut short in a tragic car wreck, with most of my classmates.  For most of us this was the first funeral we attended that was one of us, not a grandparent or older person.  We often teased Arnold about riding a moped when many of us were driving cars to school.  Most of us didn’t know the moped was because his seizures prevented him from obtaining a license to drive a car.  In fact, many did not know of his struggle until a massive seizure took him away from us.  I think of Dobert (most friends called Diane by her last name) calling me asking to ride home with me from college for the weekend.  I can’t remember why I was delayed that Friday as I told her she was welcome to ride home with me but I wasn’t leaving until Saturday morning. That was the last time we spoke as she drove alone in her own car.  She never made it to Columbus but arrived in heaven that fateful Friday.  There are others I and fellow classmates could name.  Many reading this who are not classmates from Lee High’s class of ’70 will not know those names but we all have similar memories of friends and family now gone.

What is the best way to handle such memories? I honor and cherish the memories of those with whom I was privileged to call a friend as my life was enhanced by them.  It is good to look back and cherish memories.  I am reminded that life is truly fleeting, fragile and precious.  It is vital to make the most of each moment.  We never know when our last words with someone will truly be the last words. Therefore, our words should always be kind, positive and pleasant.  There is never a reason to harbor anger or ill will.  We never know when or if we will see one another again in this life.

I cherish the memories of friends.  I want to continue to make wonderful memories with family and friends.  I want to make the most of each day and each relationship.  Randy Pausch, author of ‘The Last Lecture’, said; “We don’t beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully.”  Colonel Jack Jacobs, who was famous for being direct with his words, said; “I believe in getting the most out of life because I am going to be dead a long time.”  While I like the sentiment of both of those quotes, I think Jesus put it best in the text, I used in the first sermon I preached over 30 years ago from John 10:10, when he said; “I came so that everyone would have life, and have it in its fullest.” 

If I have learned and can share anything worthwhile over these 70 years, it is that life is indeed fragile, precious and fleeting.  This world will not always be kind.  There are tragic and sad events that will enter each of our lives at some point.  In learning to cope with the evil and injustice of this world I have found great comfort and guidance from the Apostle Paul’s letter to the church in Philippi.  He wrote the letter while in prison.  He had not committed a crime, but was unjustly jailed because the powerful and influential leaders of the city did not like the message he was preaching.  Despite suffering injustice being jailed as he was only seeking to follow God’s plan for his life, he never expressed a feeling of anger at God, the unfairness of life or those who had wronged him.  He never wrote a word of discouragement or depression.  Remarkably he wrote only encouraging words that still are significant today.  Paul’s words from Philippians 4:12-13 encourage me daily as he wrote; “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”

Therefore, if I have gained any wisdom in nearly 70 years of life, I have learned that it is wise and best to follow the purpose of Jesus in life.  We make the most of each day fulfilling His purpose for our lives, forgiving and loving others as He forgives and loves us.  The best birthday present we can give ourselves and others is to make the most of each moment seeking joy happiness no matter what the situation may be while we love and cherish those around us.   

Happy 70th Birthday class of ’70!