Wednesday, October 27, 2021

You Don't Need a Title

On this date, 26 years ago, a small group of young men waited to hear their name called in a public ceremony for the first time as; “Reverend Doctor _____”.  That public proclamation meant that each had satisfactorily completed several years of vigorous academic classwork, writing and projects to earn the Doctorate of Ministry degree.  Each candidate then walked across a stage, with proud family and friends in the audience, to have the Dean of the theological school place the Doctoral hood upon them.  I know about all of this because I was a member of that group.  However, I was not present for that public presentation.  While my group walked across the stage with the above-mentioned pageantry, I was walking in front of a group of solemn pallbearers carrying a casket to a grave at a small country church. 

I got the phone call late in the evening.  I had been a pastor long enough to know that those calls were not usually bringing good news.  The frantic voice of Mary (not her real name) exclaimed; “John (not his real name) had collapsed.  He is not conscious!  The EMS people are here now.”  I told her that I would be right over.  By the time I got there he was dead.  They had been married over 50 years.  He was a WW2 veteran, deacon in our church and they had been neighbors of my wife when she was a child.  I told her I would stay as long as she needed.  As we talked into the evening, she told me she wanted to have the funeral that weekend at the old country church where he grew up.  Of course, she wanted me to conduct the service and I told her I would consider it an honor.  There was no way I could tell her I actually had other plans for that weekend.  I went home and contacted all my family and told them to cancel their travel plans.  I would not be attending my graduation ceremony. 

I never was a much of a student until I entered seminary so, earning a legitimate doctoral degree was quite and achievement and a surprise for those who knew and remembered me from high school and college.  I was quiet and reserved in high school finishing in the middle of the class academically.  I guess you could say I majored in fun in college.  I had a great time and graduated on time but dead last in my class.  Anyone with lower grades than me did not graduate.  However, that is another story for another day.  I did not get serious about my education until I realized what I was going to do with my life.  A few years after earning my Master’s degree I entered the Doctor of Ministry program to increase my ability as a professional minister.  A friend advised me not to become egotistic with the title.  He said, “Don’t forget that no matter how many times you curl the tail it is still a pig!”  I learned to appreciate his humorous way to remind me to remain humble…but I am getting ahead of myself.    

There are those who seek the title for personal prestige or advancement.  I had a professional acquaintance (I didn’t really consider him a friend) who had a reputation for advancing his ego by any means necessary.  He was not worried about the ethics or legitimacy of what he did to promote himself.  He told me that he was getting a doctorate degree through an internet school.  He told me he would complete the work in less than a year.  A legitimate accredited doctoral degree is a graduate-level credential which is typically granted after multiple years of graduate school.  I told him that I never knew he had been to graduate school.  He told me that he had not but was getting on his “Mastorial and Doctorial” degrees at the same time with this internet school.  I guess there was not time for spelling or grammar since both degrees were being earned in a few short months through that internet website. 

I must confess that although I thought my decision to forgo the public ceremony and conduct the funeral for a long-time friend, deacon and veteran was the right decision, there was a part of me that did regret the opportunity to be publicly recognized in such a fashion in front of family and friends.  Then I saw an ad in a monthly publication where I could order a solid oak desk name plate with my name engraved saying “Dr. Bill Drees”.  It also had a laser engraved eagle with one of my favorite verses, Isaiah 40:31; “But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.”   I thought I deserve some recognition for all my hard work so I ordered it.  When the package arrived I excitedly opened it to see the laser engraved name…“Dr. Thomas Howard”.  They sent me the wrong one!!!!  I was immediately reminded to the phrase my friend had shared some time ago to keep me humble; “Don’t forget that no matter how many times you curl the tail it is still a pig!”  I realized that I may have then learned the greater lesson.  One does not need a title. 

We are all special and unique creations!  There has never been anyone like you in all of human history!  There will never be anyone quite like you in the future!  We have all been created intentionally with our unique personality, quirks, talents and gifts for our unique purpose.  We were also intentionally born in this unique time, family situation and geographical location for our individual and unique purpose.  Therefore, everyday we should be reminded how special and unique we are just because you are you!  Everyday is your time to accomplish the unique and individual purpose that you alone were created to achieve on this planet for this moment.   Some moments and achievements may bring great joy while some may not be pleasant but you have been given the opportunity and gifts to accomplish your purpose for being alive on this day.  No one can do it quite like you.  Don’t worry about titles, awards, recognition or what people may call you or think of you.  Rejoice in who you have been created to be and go forward doing what you have been uniquely created and placed here to do with joy.  Trust me in this…after all, I AM a doctor!