Saturday, July 2, 2022

The Big One

When we moved to the little village of Lugoff over 20 years ago I thought we could finish our work careers and retire here to a nice quiet life.  We were 30 minutes from Columbia, SC; the state capital, a city large enough to find most anything we wish to do.  We were in the middle of the small state of SC where we could drive a few hours to the north and enjoy the mountains, a few hours east for a Myrtle Beach getaway, or spend the same amount of time heading south for visits to Charleston (often listed as one of the top places to visit in the world), Hilton Head, or other beach island getaways.   Indeed, this seemed like a good place to settle.  Winters were mild and if you could tolerate the dog days of August, the summer was ok.  However, no one told me that we are right on top of a major earthquake fault line!

The first earthquake was December 27, 2021.  I was upstairs on the computer, as I am now.  I heard a loud boom, felt the house shake and thought someone drove a car into the house.  Since then, we have had 47 earthquakes in the last 6 months.  I have learned that this is called an ‘earthquake swarm’ and it is the most recorded quakes in the history of the state.  Many have been mild and not noticeable however June ended with a bang.  On June 26 at 1:31 am a magnitude 3.4 earthquake shook us from our sleep.  That was the strongest one yet…at that time.  The epicenter was about 4 miles from our house.  Not a good way to wake up.  Three days later, June 29 at 2:43 pm (you always remember the time), a 3.5 magnitude quake got our attention.  That was the strongest one yet…at that time!  Later that same day, 7:03 pm, we were shaken by a 3.6 magnitude earthquake.  That was the strongest one yet…so far!

Experts say that even though this is a historic ‘swarm’ it does not mean that the ‘big one’ is near.  However, those same experts admit that earthquakes cannot be predicted, only measured afterwards.  Thanks for the comforting information.  So much for settling into a quiet retirement in a small village. 

As a minister, I am used to questions.  Some are frivolous and fun such as, “Where did Cain get his wife?”  As you know the Bible teaches that the human race began with Adam & Eve who had two sons, Cain & Able.  Genesis 4:17 mentions Cain’s wife but there is no mention of who she is or where she came from.  So, the question, “Where did Cain get his wife?”  To which I love to reply, “I would tell you if I were Able!”  Some questions are obviously more serious and often affected by current events.  With the continued craziness of worldwide politics, violence and uncertainty in so many areas of life.  I am not surprised when often asked, “Are we living in the end times?”  To which, I fall back on all my years of study and theological training and shrug my shoulders.  Who knows?  Actually, that is the correct answer.  It’s the same one Jesus gave when asked the same question over 2000 years ago. 

The better way to live is not in fear of the unknown or unexpected but prepare for the day/time that the unknown or unexpected may happen.  That is done by living the best life loving your family, friends and fellowman each moment of each day.  That point was made to me in a very strong way 21 years ago as I was recovering from the first of two major surgeries needed to save my life.  Through a medical fluke (or divine providence) doctors discovered a large aneurysm leading to my right kidney and two leading to my left kidney and a rare renal artery disease.  Since an aneurysm killed my mother at the age of 68, the diagnosis got my attention.  I was told that I would need two separate surgeries because each surgery held the possibility of losing the kidney or other serious complications.  You can live with the loss of one kidney but not both.  The first surgery would be as soon as possible in June then I would need to recover well enough to have the second surgery in November.  The surgery was delicate and complex enough that I had to travel to another state for someone considered one of the best in the nation, possibly in the world for such surgeries.  That was step one in preparing for the unknown and unexpected.  Do all you can to be ready for any unexpected event.  In other words, be smart and buckle up!

Step two happened the night before the first surgery.  My family gathered with me in my room visited as long as possible.  We prayed together and they went to the motel for an early return the next morning for a long day in the waiting room for a surgery that would take at least 8 hours.  After they left, I was alone in the room and then I realized that I was not alone.  God promised several times in the Bible: “I will be with you always” and “I will never leave or forsake you!”  So, I decided to take advantage of those promises and have a visit with God…He didn’t have to observe visiting hours. 

I was 49 years old.  I told God that I would like to have a 50th birthday…and more if possible but that was in His hands.  I thought of the things that I would still like to do.  However, if this was the ‘end times’ for me I realized that I had already lived a full and blessed life.  I was grateful for my wife and children and reviewed how blessed I was to have had them as well as the time with other family and friends.  After a good visit with just the two of us, since He had promised to stay with me always, I realized that although I had full confidence in my surgeon and his impressive credentials and ability; God would also be in the operating room with me.  The more we visited the calmer and more peaceful I felt.  After a while a nurse came and asked if I needed anything for anxiety to help me sleep.  Anxiety and sleeplessness were common before such serious life-threatening situations.  I smiled at her and told her, “No thank you, we are OK!”  She may have wondered about the “We” I was referring to but I think she knew. 

Obviously, I survived & had my 50th birthday the next year.  Now 21 years later, after having my 70th birthday, I continue to look back at my visit with Jesus the night before the first surgery.  I have a 25-inch scar around my expanding middle.  They used a total of 99 staples to close the incisions.  Why not go for 100?  The surgeon said I would have an area about the size of a small football below my ribcage & above my waist where I would no longer have any feeling because they would have to sever nerves that would not recover.  So, I have a legitimate excuse for not sucking in my belly.  But I am still here! 

All of this is to say whether it is a growing earthquake swarm, an unexpected medical condition, an accident or any unforeseen event; the best way to live in this uncertain world is to have a daily life of gratitude for the blessings we have and live each moment of each day with love for our family, friends and anyone else we encounter.  That is the best way to prepare for whatever, ‘The Big One’ may be!