Thursday, September 24, 2009

You Don't Look Like A Preacher

We had a guest musical group in our church. My music minister and I were greeting them as they were arriving in the sanctuary early before the service. I said “Hi, I’m Bill, we are glad you are here.” After a few moments of chatting the leader of the group asked, “Are you the Sound man?” I guess he expected the Senior Pastor to be more formal, taller, more handsome, who knows? I had fun telling the congregation how perceptive he was, most people wait until after hearing me preach to think I should be doing something else.

On a previous occasion a former Deacon who was a member of the state legislature invited me and another church member to a political event with a wide range of people from many social sections of the community. As we mingled a man walked in the room and my fellow church member said, “Now he looks like a preacher!” To which I replied, “And I guess that means I look like chopped liver?” Now that meant I had to conduct a scientific experiment to discern who was the real deal in this situation. I carefully worked my way across the crowded room until I met the well dressed man with carefully combed hair. I introduced myself and made small talk and eased the conversation to, “So what do you do for a living?” He smiled and replied, “I am an undertaker.” I went back to my church member and said, “You are right he does look like a preacher!”

When people actually find out that I do make my living as a preacher they then mistake me for a very religious person. Although I am in church enough to have a steeple growing out of my bald spot I may not be as religious in the way people expect. I am also OK with that. Jesus was not as religious in the way people expected. In fact it was the most religious sect in society that had the most trouble with him and finally arranged for his death. Religious intolerance is not new. Religion can be a practice of following certain traditions, rules and rituals that men have devised, modified and amended over the years. Some of these traditions can be very helpful. Some are simply meaningless habits others can be harmful. Problems arise when one has to follow such traditions, rules, rituals, etc. to be accepted or acceptable. Religion can then become exclusive and even dangerous.

I like following and preaching Jesus rather than religion, politics or opinion. He seeks to draw all to him and his tradition, rules and habits are grounded in love for Him and fellowman. In thirty years of being a preacher I have had several occasions of hearing, “You don’t look/act like a preacher” but I have never had anyone say you don’t look or act like Jesus. If I am not aligned with the image of the everyday preacher that is OK, I would rather be aligned with Jesus. No matter your vocation you can act like Him and let others see him in you. Many will not go to church, in fact most don’t. Many have a wrong idea about church or church members but they will watch you. What do people see when they watch you? I leave you with a favorite poem.

‘The Gospel According to Me’

Lord help me remember,
When others I see,
That they are reading the Gospel,
According to me.

Matthew, Barnabus,
Peter and Paul,
The world looks upon them as names,
That’s all.

For verses of scripture,
Men merely grope,
But my life goes under the microscope.

So make me a text Lord,
Easy to see,
When men read the Gospel,
According to me!