Friday, August 6, 2010

Fenced Dogs Yapp Most

Someone asked me how should one respond to when others make negative comments and share or hold negative opinions about you. I guess they knew me well enough, as a pastor and a plain spoken person, that I must have had plenty of people who have had negative comments and negative opinions about me. First, we should not live our lives being concerned or directed by other opinions. There is only one that will judge me. As long as God is pleased with me I should be OK and not worry about what some other person says or thinks. As I love God with all my heart and I seek to share His love with my fellow man I will seek to treat all with the same love and respect. However, all will not respond in kind and will not hold the same opinion of me.

I once read that opinions are like arm pits, we all have more than one. Preachers are often like football coaches who get more praise than they deserve when the team does well and more blame than is theirs when things do not go as well as people think they should. All of us who do anything will receive comments and criticism from others. One should keep an objective ear to comments but never let the negative comments discourage you or keep you from doing your best.

I learned an important lesson from my pets several years ago. I owned Cocker Spaniels that I kept in our fenced back yard. Early one morning I heard them barking loudly and aggressively. I went to the back door to investigate. I saw a large dog walking leisurely through the unfenced area of my back yard. My dogs, imprisoned by the fence, were yapping loudly at the free dog as he enjoyed his walk. He walked their way and looked, which drove them wilder, and casually walked away never barking once.

I walked away smiling at the lesson God gave me. Those who often ‘bark’ loudest are those who are least free. I try to live my life as the one who barks least and enjoys the free walk God gives through His grace. So, next time you hear the ‘yapping’ of those negative voices, think of my dog story. Walk over, sniff at them in their fence then turn and walk away. You need not respond to all the yapping. The negative voices of those yapping in their fences will grow more faint and distant as you walk away enjoying your freedom.