Friday, August 13, 2010

Get Happy!

One of my favorite quotes says, "I want to get the most out of this life because I am going to be dead a long time." That is not saying that I am not looking forward to the next life, Heaven, which will be better beyond description than this life that has been marred by sin. For me that quote speaks of all the things and experiences I enjoy from this life that I want to maximize by making the most of each day I am here.

I usually try to have fun each day with most every experience. I know that every event in life is not always fun. As a pastor, I am involved with crisis, sickness, tragedy and death on a regular basis. I have also had my own personal dealings with life's difficulties, both personal loss and health issues. My next surgery will be my tenth. However, there are many who are half my age who have trouble keeping up with me, physically and emotionally. It comes from a deliberate attitude to focus on the joys that God has given each of us each day. The Scriptures teach me that I fall short of God's plan (Romans 3:23) and my remuneration is death (Romans 6:23). However, that same verse tells me that God gives me the gift of eternal life in a relationship with Jesus. So each day I wake up with breath and life is a gift, and by following Jesus I have eternity when this life is over. Why not be happy? Ecclesiastes 3:4 says, there is "a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance." In my heart I am a great dancer!

Years ago, I taught a Bible study using Minirth & Mier's book, "Happiness Is A Choice". Rick Foster & Greg Hicks have written an excellent book entitled, "How We Choose To Be Happy". However, long before those good books were published a guy named Paul wrote a book we call the book of Philippians where he wrote, "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation." Remarkably, this sentence and the rest of this fascinating book was written from prison. Paul had not committed a crime, in fact, he was in prison on false charges and completely innocent. Yet he never complained but found reason to rejoice as he realized he was exactly where God wanted him and God was with him. He knew he could do whatever he needed to do and face whatever he needed to face as long as he knew Jesus who gave him strength.

As you go through the uncertainty of the day make a deliberate decision to make the most of each day and rejoice as often as you can. Make a deliberate decision to know Jesus on a personal basis, forgetting all the bad in the past and pressing on to all the good that is ahead, as did Paul (Philippians 3:10-14). Make a deliberate decision to rejoice always (see I Thessalonians 5:16). This is the only chance you get at this day. Why waste it not being happy?