Saturday, June 11, 2011

Surf's Up, Enjoy the Ride!

My uncle sent me a recent picture of himself riding the waves on a surfboard. The best part of the photo comes from knowing that the surfer is retired CDR Morris C. Drees who will be 80 on his next birthday. I love to see people from my gene pool living long and well with a sense of spunk and adventure. I remember his mother (my grandmother) showing how fast she could run a stationary bike as we gathered to celebrate her 95th birthday. I preached her funeral three years later as complications from a broken hip kept her from reaching 100.

Doctors often tell us that our genes help determine much of our life. The best secret to live a long healthy life is to be born into a family with genes that will facilitate that. So I root hard for my bicycling granny as well as my surfing 79 year old uncle as I hope to continue a long, full, adventuresome and spunky life. However, as lucky as I may be to have a good heritage, which I had no part of making, I have responsibility of my own in the matter.

One cannot help the family one is born into. I was very fortunate to grow up in a family that had fun and laughter as the emphasis for the day. Some are not as fortunate. Some are born into sad families, broken homes, abusive situations that leave scars for a lifetime. We may not have had a choice in the family in which we were born and lifestyle that was taught or experienced but, we do have a choice in how it affects.us. Both my surfing uncle and his older brother, my father, grew up in a broken home that was not always remembered for fun, joy and laughter.

However, it was left to them to carve out their lives in a fashion to provide more positive opportunities or sink to self-pity and let the circumstances of life overwhelm them. My uncle made a career of the Navy. He flew planes off the USS Saratoga, traveled the world, built a family and now, as a retired Commander, enjoys riding the waves. His older brother, my dad, married a girl who added laughter and joy wherever she went and they raised a family where there was no alcohol, anger, profanity or any destructive behavior, just a focus on love, laughter and joy. That life of joy and laughter created an environment to allow me to pass this lifestyle on to the next generation, my children.

Yes, the family we are born into makes a great impact on the adults we become. We cannot control the family we are born into but we can do something about how we let it affect us. If we are given a good foundation, we can continue to build on it. We still have to do the work to become responsible, active joyous adults. There are no guarantees our life will prosper just because we were given a good start. Also, if things were/are difficult we can rise above them. Events of the past do not have to control our future. If something was done against you, forgive then forget and move on. Don’t let injustices of the past hold you back. Paul wrote in Philippians 3 that he didn’t have it all figured out yet but, “But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” He knew God had a plan for him to have a full life. Jesus tells us in John 10:10 that he came that we may have an “abundant life”.

If you have things in the past that hold you back, let them go. We are born into a sin-scarred world where bad things happen, even to good people. Life here is brief and you don’t make the most of each day holding bitterness, anger about things you can’t control. If something or someone was against you, forgive as quickly as possible. If you messed up, don’t let it trouble you long, ask those you offended for forgiveness and move on. Romans 8:1 tells us ‘there is now no commendation to those who are in Christ Jesus.” So, just like surfing, a new wave is always on the way. Waves can wash things away and carry us to new places. It is up to us to either let it pass and miss the chance or to jump aboard and enjoy the ride. Surf’s up!