Friday, August 15, 2008

"I tried as hard as I could"

I have always been a sports fan. In July of 2005 I witnessed retirement for two athletes, the likes of whom we may never see again. Lance Armstrong won his 7th consecutive Tour de France. Before Lance, the previous record was 5. It is mind-boggling to think of racing a bicycle up French mountains and country roads for over 2,200 miles, especially for a cancer survivor. Lance inspires us to ‘Live Strong and ‘Never give up’!
I think of believers in Christ, who should be people of eternal hope and joy, after all we are the resurrection people, but many become discouraged wanting to give up. I think of preachers become comfortable with less than their best effort. Then I see Lance pushing on. He won 7 tours by winning one at a time. He won by competing as hard as he could each day, one pedal at a time. Don’t get overwhelmed or lazy and let discouragement defeat you. The mountain is climbed one step at a time. Wasn’t it Jesus who said, “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”?
Jack Nicklaus retired from competitive golf with a birdie on the 18th hole at St. Andrews, the home of Golf, in the British Open. Most fans expected him to make the putt. No it was not for the championship trophy as in days of his glory and youth but he tried as if it were. That was how he played and lived. He won more major tournaments than anyone in golf history. He influenced golf as much, if not more, than anyone in history. But that’s not why I watched that final putt.
Jack has long been known as a devout family man. In spite of demands from golf and business his family is his priority. Recently, upon receiving the ‘Sportsman of the Century’ award, he took the stage before an auditorium filled with successful celebrities and athletes, as well as a TV audience of millions, and said his greatest accomplishment was seated on the front row. He smiled at his first (and only) wife and five children. They smiled back as the greatest sportsman in 100 years acknowledged his family as his accomplishment.
In one of the numerous interviews given by Jack Nicklaus, I believe one quote sums up his life philosophy and offers inspiration. He said that he always “tried as hard as he could” no matter what he did. As a husband, father, in golf, business or whatever, he tried as hard as he could. He gave all his best effort.
I Corinthians 10:31 says it this way, “Whether you eat, drink or whatever, do it all to the glory of God”. I figure if Lance can put forth that kind of effort to ride a bike and Jack can do it to roll a ball into a hole in the ground, why can’t I give my best for a savior who gave it all for me? Give it your best. Eternity is worth it!