Saturday, August 9, 2008

Labels are Best on Soup Cans

I couldn’t believe my ears. I was accused of labeling a pastor with one of those popular names that describes a certain theological viewpoint. For those who really know me and my views the accusation was so ridiculous that it was laughable were it not harmful to anyone who might hear and believe it. All gossip and slander is harmful and evil. That is why I long ago memorized Proverbs 26:20 and share it as often as possible; “Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip a quarrel dies down.

Since the early 80’s I have written articles against labeling people. In fact, when the trend to use certain labels almost as a weapon to describe people in our denomination seemed to reach a frightening peak, some may not remember or have served in some states where that once happened; I wrote an article telling everyone clearly how to label me. I said that I was a “Fundamentalist, Conservative, Moderate, Liberal, catholic Christian.” You see, I studied the root meaning of the words and I believed in the fundamental truths of the scriptures, I was cautious and discrete at times so meant acting conservative. The Bible taught moderation and I believed the scriptures. I believe in being liberal with grace and love and I am a member of the universal church (Catholic with a little c). So there, now you know what to call me, or at least something to call me in public.

Seriously, I guess I have such an aversion to labels because I grew up in racially divided Mississippi in the 60’s. Labels were used to make people seem less than the creation of God that they were. Labels often were used to allow people to demean, disrespect, belittle and even kill their fellowman and think nothing of it. When I was 12 years old three young men were murdered 90 miles from my home. The group that committed the horrible crime was made up of some of the cities’ leading citizens, law officers and led by an ordained Baptist preacher. The last words two of these young men heard before their brutal murder were the labels that were used demean them before their illegal execution. Their crime was simply trying to help obtain the right for American citizens to vote.

As you can tell, I strongly oppose labeling people. Noted Psychiatrist, Dr. David Burns writes in 'Feeling Good', “Labeling is a distorted thinking process that causes you to feel inappropriately indignant and morally superior. It’s destructive to build your self-image that way. In reality, every human being is a complex mix of positive, negative and neutral attributes.” I do realize that there are descriptive terms that often have to do with political or theological viewpoints. It is sometimes helpful to properly use those terms to make a point or describe a viewpoint.

Some choose willingly to call or describe themselves by a certain viewpoint and it is their choice and right to do so to attempt to describe their viewpoint, theology or political philosophy. There is nothing wrong with that, if THEY are the ones who use a label as a matter of self-description. However, a label, even self-imposed, can still give the wrong impression as they are then often open to different interpretation and as Dr. Burns stated we are too complex for such a simple label. As for me I would much rather be described as one who always seeks to discern the complete truth of the Bible and especially enjoy the label as a follower of the author of the book.